1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Cutler requests trade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Don't forget Kevin Smith.

With Julian Peterson and the new coaching staff the foundation is there to win some games. So maybe 3-13 next season!

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cutler is a punk. I think it's clear McDaniels doesn't think he's coachable and that's why he wants to get rid of him. That was the best thing everyone said about Cassel is how much he pays attention to coaching and that's why the guy has done so well in the NFL. He's been humbled after being a backup throughout college and his first few years in the NFL.

He'll find a taker, but he's not getting a No. 1 for him.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If Denver trades him, they have an urgent and immediate need for a quarterback. So, do they have to get a QB in return? I think it has to be part of the package, whether via draft picks or whatever. And why would you prefer, say, Stafford over Cutler? At least Cutler has a couple of years of pro experience under his belt. With Stafford you are back to square one with no real idea whether or not he'll pan out.

What on earth would they do with Vince Young? The guy has been overrated ever since college. If people think Cutler is overrated, take a look at Vince Young. Cutler didn't lose his job to Kerry Collins.

Anyone who watched Denver last season knows its urgent need is defense. And, yes, the team is entering a major rebuilding phase. But they also have to have someone at quarterback, too.

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I'd agree with this.

I think there's more to this story than is being reported.

I don't think McDaniels thinks Cutler is the right guy to lead the Broncos. It's an interesting story.

5. Mizzougrad96

Look at the history with Bus Cook and his QB clients... Steve McNair leaves the Titans under bad circumstances. Brett Favre leaves the Packers under bad circumstances... Now, we have Cutler...

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then they would be idiots to make the trade. It's not like he's going to be a free agent any time soon. Again, if the Broncos can't get fair value for him, they would be idiots to trade him.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Yeah, it's definitely odd. I just checked out this article:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/03/12/is-bus-cook-a-troublemaker/

The writer also mentions the Ken Lucas situation (he refuses to play for the Detroit Lions) and how Cook is the agent there.

It's just weird to see a QB mastermind like McDaniels want to get rid of a young stud who passed for almost 5,000 yards last season.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mastermind?

Like Weiss was a mastermind and Romeo was a mastermind? Or a Mangenius?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I told the esteemed Mr. Mills this and I truly believe it. The Pats and Broncos had a deal in place, Cassel for Cutler and Belichick was going to turn around a trade Cutler to a team that needed a QB for a pick. Unfortunately for McDaniels, Pioli backdoored him at the last minute.
    [/quote]
    It was a three team deal, with Cutler ending up in Tampa Bay

10. Mizzougrad96

Where could he wind up? Tampa, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, New York Jets?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They'll get a number 1 plus other picks. Culter may be a punk, but he's a talented punk.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'll take that bet. No way do they get a No. 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted