1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Bonfatti, RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Roob, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Roob

Roob New Member

got some very sad news in the press box tonight during eagles-jets from philly AP writer Rob Maadi

Jay Bonfatti, who covered sports in philly for AP in the 1990s and for the last 10 years was an entertainment writer with the buffalo news, died overnight. he was 52.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hz39QSkkUooxSHOO-Xt7TbOTmRQw

Jay followed Ralph Bernstein covering philly sports for AP. was a terrific guy, always upbeat, funny, great attitude, nothing bothered him, liked by everybody.

jay loved talking about music. we used to make each other mix casettes back in the pre-digital days, and he introduced me to a lot of great bands. I was so happy when he got that job in buffalo and moved over to music & entertainment, because that's what he really wanted to write about

awesome guy. will be greatly missed.

Reuben Frank

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

3. part-timer

part-timer Member

Good guy, indeed.
    RIP

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Too long since I'd seen Jay, now too late.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

also hadn't seen jay in too long. sad, sad loss.

R.I.P. :'( :'( :'(

WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO KEEP THIS AWAY FROM THE OTHER JAY (MARIOTTI) THREAD. TWO JAYS ON OPPOSITE ENDS OF THE HUMANITY SPECTRUM.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

52 is wayyy too young.

Damn... RIP.

7. smiller

smiller New Member

Jay was a great friend. He and I actually were roomies for a very short time way back in the day.

His Christmas CD's were the highlight of the holiday season. It didn't feel like Christmas until the Bonfatti CD arrived in the mail. Sad to think there won't be one this year.

Anything I say right now cannot begin to convey how I feel. Just tell the people in your lives how important they are. Jay and I traded emails last week about the layoffs in Buffalo. I figured I'd see him. I am glad he learned the guitar, because music meant a lot to him. He said he'd always wanted to do it, and wished he'd done it sooner. I'm just glad he did.

thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted