1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Bilas takes NCAA to woodshed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, let me revise.

Why doesn't he have the right to criticize it without being called a hypocrite?

Is he only a hypocrite if he criticizes the details of the by-laws as they existed when he was playing? What about changes that have occurred since then? Is he a hypocrite if he criticizes changes in the system that have occurred since he was playing, since he technically did not capitalize on said new/amended by-laws?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My wife's cousin was the Andrew Wiggins of the double bass a couple of years ago. Several schools offered her pretty much anything she wanted to go there. She chose Rice and they trot her and other talented musicians out for recitals and alumni events and use her in recruiting materials. They play some recitals in front of as many people or more than most Rice basketball games and she gets an incredible education basically for free.

That's great. But she also plays for money in bars and coffee shops, gets hired for studio work and all kinds of other stuff. Wouldn't people find it kind of ridiculous if the National Collegiate Music Association tried to tell her she couldn't do that? Would it be hypocritical if a former college bass player voiced an opinion about it?

3. Dick Whitman

How pissed does Deadspin have to be that Jay Bilas, an Establishment suit at ESPN, is the one who pulled that shenanigan instead of them?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Why the fuck should he have that right? You don't have the right to not be criticized. Or are you too fucking stupid to realize that?

5. Dick Whitman

In your opinion, what would stop Jay Bilas from being a hypocrite? If an NCAA by-law has been amended since he gained from the system, is he henceforth not a hypocrite if he criticizes it? Is he only a hypocrite if he criticizes rules that were in place, as is, during his playing days?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sorry, where did I use the word hypocrite? All I said was he benefited from the system. He's free to criticize it, but anyone else is free to criticize him. I'm trying to figure out why you're too fucking stupid to understand that.

7. Dick Whitman

Bilas wouldn't have gotten his Duke education if the NCAA stopped selling jerseys on its Web site with player numbers?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Illinois managed to give Red Grange a scholarship without having to sell No. 77 jerseys. Heck, Grange actually had a job while he was a football player, without any $2,000, or whatever that would have been in the 1920s, earnings limit.

9. Dick Whitman

Clarence Thomas frequently votes against the use of affirmative action in college and graduate school admissions.

Discuss.

Draft saved Draft deleted