1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jay Bilas takes NCAA to woodshed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, he really showed them...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So journalists covering a beat should not do so critically?

3. Armchair_QB

No, they should. But the blowing of him over this tantrum is ridiculous.

4. Dick Whitman

I have seen criticism on this thread that Bilas does not sufficiently love college sports enough to cover them, as he casts a critical eye on the governing organization.

5. Yes... and it's also been demonstrated before. I like Bilas, but he's hardly breaking new ground here. Beat writers and/or columnists pointed this bullshit out when The OSU players got in trouble for the jersey/ tattoo scandal and UGA beat writers or columnist did the same thing when AJ Green was suspended.
    The isn't new. Only the latest.

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

I was working the local angle on the story - trying to figure out which players had search-engine entries. The obvious suspects were in there - Denard Robinson, Devin Gardner, Kirk Cousins, Leveon Bell, Matt Stafford - and then a few that weren't as obvious. Jeremy Gallon and Fitzgerald Toussaint both worked, for example.

But the best part? Searching for Tate Forcier brought up his Michigan jersey. Not sure that market exists any more.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Emmert just announced the NCAA would be ceasing the jersey sales immediately.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Which is dumb. Makes the operation look guiltier than I suspect it is. Unless the search engine is designed to be non-intuitive, and they manually built the names in (which I really doubt), I mean, hell, it'd be like suing Google.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then you misread my criticism. I think Bilas rather loves college basketball, actually. He also loves being Jay Bilas, arrogant, stentorian scold. City councils know these folks well. So does anyone in daily contact with Newt Gingrich.

He won this round, I'll give him that much.

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Schools can still sell jerseys, I believe. So this does nothing.

11. Armchair_QB

So I guess Jay will now turn his attention to ESPN.

http://www.espnshop.com/ESPN_Texas_A_And_M_Aggies_Jerseys/adidas_Texas_A_And_M_Aggies_Number_2_Replica_Football_Jersey_-_White

12. Dick Whitman

Do you not grasp the difference?

Draft saved Draft deleted