1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock's letter to Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That is a fair question.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Judging from the website, it certainly appears to have run in sports. It's on the sports front, but not on the news or opinion fronts.

And no, it does not belong in sports. It obviously doesn't have nearly the sports connection that Whitlock's Imus or NBA/Vegas columns did.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sports > Columnists > Jason Whitlock

No one thought to look at the top of the page? Or click through to the section heads? Really?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, I noticed that's where it was on the Web. I was asking about the print version. It could be that Whitlock is automatically queued to run in a certain place, or the Web guy just instinctively put it there.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Needed: One hard copy of Wednesday's Kansas City Star.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that doesn't mean anything... They do that with a lot of columnists, lump all of their stuff together on the web regardless of where it ran...

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Monday's: "Posted on Sun, Mar. 23, 2008 10:15 PM"

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend down there said he thought it may have been a "web only" but wasn't positive.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - you could just put Whitlock on the tread heading with no other comment and the anti Whitlock crowd would jump in with a thought.

I thought it was a very good column that raised some very valid questions.
    The main stream political reporters got so caught up in the moment they lost a bit of objectivity.

10. VJ

VJ Member

FYI, I wasn't criticizing Whitlock for writing the column, I had no problem with the topic of what he wrote. I have a problem with The Star choosing to run it in sports simply because he's a "sports columnist".

And this wasn't a web only -- if you look on the Sports Front Exchange website, The Star posts its section everyday. The column ran in one column on the left hand side of the centerpiece package. There was nothing to distinguish it from your typical column treatment they give Whitlock.

Here is the PDF of Monday's section where it ran: http://rogersimmons.com/sportsfront/kansas_city_star/monday.pdf.pdf

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lots of op-ed guys write on sports and it runs on the op-ed page. I guess George Will is best-known of that group, but it happens, a lot.
    You give someone a column and if you tell him or her that they can write on what they want, then they write on what they want.
    It seemed to be the contrarian take, something Whitlock has gotten to be pretty good at. Or at least that is what seems to be his niche.
    Particularly on areas of race, and especially in a campaign when every major black columnist in the country can't stop praising Obama.

12. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Tremendous column.

Very disappointing how much petty nonsense goes on here. Readers form a relationship with their local columnist. They come to the sports pages looking for that columnist, interested in what he has to say that day. To say that that columnist can't sometimes stray from sports is incredibly small-minded IMO, and sells both the readers and the section short.

Draft saved Draft deleted