1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock's letter to Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I never said it wasn't a big deal. Just pointing out that the actual column in question is going to get lost in the disdain for Whitlock. I'm no fan, but I liked this column. Simple.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He does frame it as a situation where Don Imus' chickens will come home to roost.

It's a couple degrees, but it is related to sports.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Curious: What is this "outing debacle" of which some speak? I have no idea.

4. Simon_Cowbell

really don't either.... just in very general terms.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I think you're saying your posts aren't worth reading. OK, I'm fine with that.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Holy Leap in Logic, Batman!

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Check your PMs, those who asked.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Can't wait to see you try explaining that one...

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Pall, I know you, and I know you're not this obtuse. Chopping someone's words and leaping isn't really you, and I'm saddened.

If you really don't think there's a big difference between someone posting on a MESSAGE board what they believe vs. filling a "sports column" with drivel about their political beliefs, then you probably shouldn't take up that argument.

I can post on here that I think Jason Taylor's hot. Do you think I'm putting that in my paper? Because I'm not.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't really believe that's what Grimace was thinking., Doc. But I do believe his posts aren't worth reading. :D

11. Simon_Cowbell

Give it a couple years...

Papers had better start thinking about becoming more provocative... European....Tabloid.

We are fucking boring, people.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

The paper vs. message board argument has nothing to do with it. I was addressing the general idea that if you write sports, you don't have anything viable to say about other subjects. I compare that attitude to someone who doesn't work in sports coming onto a political thread here and saying, "What the fuck do you guys know, you're sportswriters." If someone did that, people around here would be livid (rightfully so). So to suggest that a sportswriter has no business writing about politics is pretty close-minded, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted