1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock's letter to Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Can anyone confirm in which section this column ran? Because if it ran in sports, and no one had the balls to spike it, then it doesn't speak very well of the Star's section, which I think is one of the best in the country.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That is dead on.

As for the column itself, it's one of the better ones I've read in a long time, regardless of what category it fits in.

It also doesn't surprise me that most of the posts so far (and the majority as long as this thread lives) will be based on Whitlock's current status as an sj pariah, not necessarily the words he wrote.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Brilliant speech?

Where he separated this nutbag pastor the person from nutbag pastor's words?

What unadulterated bullshit.

A pastor is his words.

Right now, a Jew voting for him is like one who owns a Mercedes.

Obama has to disavow this motherfucker and everything he stands for. Actually, it may be too late now.

I can't believe McCain may have a chance in this thing.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Why the fuck would I give a shit what a sports columnist has to write to Barack Obama?

5. Simon_Cowbell

It's still more interesting that 90 percent of the shit that ends up in a newspaper, period.

You guys simply can't thicken your skin enough to get past the myriad ways he may have insulted you on this board in the past, or you have extended the animosity you feel for the outing debacle.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

If you really think that way, f_t, are you willing to tell all the people on this site who fill up the political threads that their opinions don't matter because they work in sports?

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Huh? There are tons of people who didn't like Whitlock's style and/or substance long before the coup de grace. But nice try at pre-emptive marginalization. And anybody who doesn't think the outing thing was a big deal...tell us your real names right now. Shouldn't be a big deal, right?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He hates awards, but wants to win a Pulitzer for commentary.

The parasite has found another host.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

IT. IS. NOT. SPORTS.

What part of that is too confusing for you?

He chops the legs out from his own premise. "I'm not political, but here's a political column."

And I guess you know more about politics than the 90 percent of political writers who praised the speech.

Is there anything about which you don't claim to be an expert? Bocce ball, perhaps?

10. Simon_Cowbell

I. DON'T. GIVE. A. FLYING. FUCK

Give me something interesting to read.... in any section.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Look at the context. It's a sports columnist, one who is admittedly apolitical, who is writing a political column.

If a sportswriter or sports columnist also covers politics or gives me a reason to believe that he's got something substantive to say about politics, that's one thing. This column smacks of "I'm writing to Barack Obama because I'm black and I feel like blowing a lot of hot air."

Shirley Povich writing a column in which he takes a surgeon's knife to the Redskins for refusing to put a black player on the team worked. He was subtle and he was a great writer. This column does not work. Plain and simple.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

There's a difference between posting on a message board, and a column published in a newspaper.

In other news, 2 follows 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted