1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock's column. Anyone else disagree?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SkiptomyLou, Sep 22, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: Jason Whitlock is dumb

And you probably meant "big, enormous". "Big enormous" is just redundant.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Sabermetrics confirms a lot of things we already knew. Crash Davis explained FIP and BABIP long before Voros McCracken came along.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Whitlock's favorite music video:

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To me, the right column makes a nod toward the contribution sabermetrics has made to the game, then says, OK, moving on. I will say that "stat geeks" I know if tend to trot out the "small sample size!" line a wee bit too much in the playoffs. The guy's having a good postseason, OK? The postseason matters. Don't piss on it with some "well, this string isn't indicative of who he is a player" nonsense. It is indicative - along with all the other games. You're not a GM try to balance a payroll. You're a supposed fan. Either take a break from the team management or, here's a thought, go manage a team. Which, if you really, really want to do it, you can at some level of baseball after putting the grunt work in.

5. RickStain

Do computer sim leagues count?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

If it's competitive and for some element of money, it starts to.

All I'm saying is that, at some point, you're so involved that beyond passionate, and officially dispassionate, and that's when you being a fan is a waste of your free time. Might as well use that intellect toward some creative/business venture.

7. RickStain

You know, we can do both. Enjoy the game while it's happening and analyze it later. Fun from both sides!

But this is all hypothetical, because as a Cubs fan, the playoffs are never, ever fun.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why does it matter to you how I choose to follow baseball?

That's what I don't get.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can't wait for Total Quarterback Rating: The Movie

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For years baseball purists have quoted and gone by "the book" - now someone actually decided to check the math on it and people are upset?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just wait until tomorrow night, after which housewives and grandmothers will be talking about sabermetrics.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm still trying to figure our saber imperial.

Draft saved Draft deleted