1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock vs. Maria Taylor and Katie Nolan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"One scoop of vanilla."

[​IMG]

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

ex-

Olbermann was the pineapple sherbet when he got to ESPN. Old fucks wanted the vanilla but the sherbet won out.

And we've been getting bad imitation sherbet ever since, just like we've been getting bad imitation Gary Smith for a generation.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Happy Cur-

Charlie Jones was a national treasure.

I also liked Don Criqui. NBC really knew how to spot talent around that time.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

That's the problem with innovators. They bring about imitators who are almost never anywhere near as good.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was one of the cheap knockoffs. VERY Olbermann-esque when I started out. Served me well for a “brand” (before anyone called it that). Definitely had my fans. Twenty years later, I still get kids in high school back then who thank me on Twitter for a dumb catchphrase I bestowed on them in a highlight from 2001.

However, for every big-market sports job, I almost always lost out to the boring but steady sports anchor.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Olbermann didn't just show up at the Mothership and decided to be pineapple sherbet. He definitely was that at KCBS and before that at KTLA.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. This country as a whole is boring.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The only announcer that ever made me watch and not watch was Howard Cosell. For me Enberg Packer and McGuire were the best college basketball announcers. Nothing since has been close. But if they called SW Alabama A&T v Stoney Brook College for wayward women I would watch because of the game not the announcers.

it’s the games. Nothing but the games. Watching the NCAA tourney is about the games, even though the announcers are shills for the NCAA and their broadcast partners.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’d watch anyGame of the Week Vin and Joe were doing. White Sox and Brewers? Cool. Whatever. I’m in.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I actively avoided anything Brent Musburger did. Started when I was a child, and I don't know why. I always had such an aversion to him.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I just completed a drive from SoCal to Salt Lake City and while it was a beautiful drive up the I-15, I was saddened to again see how vanilla every location in America has become. I mean, St. George, Utah, is in a beautiful location, surrounded by open land, and damn if they're not building cookie-cutter homes one atop the other mile after mile like it's Santa Clarita or La Mesa.

America has lost the plot completely.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Could not agree more about St. George. Gorgeous location with good golf courses, but I agree with the comparison to Santa Clarita.

I Should Coco and TigerVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted