1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Whitlock leaving ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

That's the most he has written in months.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This is one of the most head-smack-inducing passages I've read of late:

My critics will likely allege The Explanation 2.0 (Wednesday’s radio/TV interview and this blog) is self-indulgent defensiveness. I disagree.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This will be interesting. Very interesting.

A couple grafs:

Journalism is being abandoned and used to censor independent thought, demonize people who speak imprecisely and/or violate our constantly moving line of political correctness. Social-media-driven faux outrage dominates today’s journalism. Unseasoned, untrained, instant-gratification-seeking children are beginning to set our journalistic agenda.

Deadspin is the Worldwide Leader in sports journalism ombudsmanship. This is sad. An organization that occasionally stumbles upon journalism but mostly sensationalizes and bullies with its lack of journalistic standards, ethics and maturity exercises unprecedented influence over the profession of sportswriting.
    and

There’s a competing new project targeting African-Americans. It’s a loose confederation of mostly social media groupthinkers/activists and left-wing advocacy journalists. They’re orchestrating the Black Lives Matter movement and working in intellectual alliance with white hipsters. They’re generally atheist and using allegiance to liberal ideology as a litmus test for blackness and fairness.

Hopeless cynicism is their doctrine. The celebrated, talented and atheist writer/thinker Ta-Nehisi Coates is their symbolic Gawd. Gawker’s Denton hailed Coates as the ideal editor to run his business – the ultimate insult intended as a compliment.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that the white hipsters lived in Brooklyn and mostly focused on rooting for the US Women's soccer team.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Precision in language, written or verbal, is the touchstone of journalism. Sports journalism is still journalism. It is not impressionism or abstract expression, but a reflection of facts. Yes, political correctness is a sour crutch but Whitlock owes much of his success as a benficary of political correctness. The angry black man morphs into the angry black man of counter factualism to the angry black man performing as Don Quixote.

Maybe he has integrity and ran into ESPN as sports partner and promoter, not sports news network and didn't like what he saw. Doesn't Simmons make the same argument without resort to racial politics?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nobody puts Jason in a corner.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Circles have no corners

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Deadspin's argument from the beginning has been: ESPN wanted to hire a conservative to run a site for the sake of "respectability politics", purposely sought Whitlock out to carry out this aim, and it all fell apart because Whitlock was a terrible leader and an even worse thinker and basically wrong about everything as it pertains to race, and even the folks who took a chance with working under him knew that.

Whitlock appears to have a different take, judging by that first blog, as in ESPN wanted his flamethrowing tendencies, but not necessarily the in-depth journalism, and was perhaps concerned about his worldview.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ugh, I tried about four different times and can't force myself to get through that post. I'm not a Whitlock hater at all, but that was a lot of self-indulgent, grandiose gibberish to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted