1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Reid named sports columnist at WaPo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Any word on who is taking on the Redskins beat?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Berman's not good enough to cover the Skins for the Post. Not that he's not really, really talented. But if your No. 2 guy is Rick Maese (albeit, I suppose there is room for debate as to which position, the online or the print, is the lead writer), then your No. 1 guy responsible for carrying the blog that generates more online readership than any other blog you've got had better be good. Really, really good.

Berman was the third-best intern while he was at the Post. They kept Steve Yanda and Katie Carrera, not Berman, for a reason. I just don't see them then going back less than two years later and hiring him for what is essentially their top beat writer position (not including Barry Svrluga, whose job is "write kickass stories).

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Joe, two things: 1) I can think of a lot of things that get me a lot more worked up than memo language when somebody is promoted and 2) memo language may or may not have anything to do with the real word skills of the manager writing them. Those are written for public consumption in press-release speak and are carefully worded to both pump up some and not piss off others -- and do a little in-house cheerleading to boot.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Whatever anyone may think of Reid's writing style or impact, that was probably not the most significant factor in his getting the columnist job at The Post.

The best, most important thing about him is that he is well-connected and either respected, liked or trusted, by turns, by sources. This is what helps make him a great reporter and it was, undoubtedly the most significant factor in his being named a columnist.

Despite the idea of columnists wanting/needing to generate a reaction and get a rise from readers, and despite the perception that that is often all they are trying to do, the very best columnists are also great reporters, with sources everywhere. And Reid is like that; he always has been, and that was the most significant factor in this move.

Another important one, in the paper's eyes, and in terms of trying to bring well-rounded perspective to the lineup was, undoubtedly, the fact that Reid is an African-American writer. That fact was buried in the memo, of course, but there's little doubt that it was a contributing factor.

I happen to think it was an unimportant one, given Reid's connections and greatness with sources regardless. But it certainly was a factor.

5. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

From Rick Maese on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/RickMaese/status/30001664882647040

Always glad to see former Times guys land on their feet.

6. VJ

VJ Member

Great news for a great guy. Just shows how good of a section TWT had before they dismantled it.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jones did a really nice job on the Wizards beat. To be honest, he ran laps around Ivan Carter on some big stories before Michael Lee took the Post's Wizards beat.

Draft saved Draft deleted