1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Quick opens up about leaving the Blazers' beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He didn't say anything about the Oregon beat that he can't come back from. The Blazers would be another story.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Does anyone know if he actually ran it past his bosses before he did it? Because he might have.

I didn't see anything particularly damning in it.

3. Mizzougrad96

It's possible his bosses didn't care. It would be refreshing in this day and age to see an editor see something like that, and just let it go.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Knowing the small bit I do about the Oregonian, I would say the chances of that are almost zilch.

The better possibility is that they care so much that they convene a subcommittee of the task force on journalistic transparency, and a few fluffed-up editors talk the situation to death at the conference table over the next six months and everybody just kind of forgets about it.

5. Mizzougrad96

I tend to agree. It wouldn't surprise me if nothing happens for a couple weeks and then some asshole will get the ear of one of the editors or the publisher and then he'll be disciplined. I don't think he'll be fired unless of course, he's trying to get fired.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This made me laugh as hard as anything today.

thanks.

7. mr.westerberg

mr.westerberg Member

Agree 100%. He did a job for 13 years and evidently got burned out at that job. Why would people on here be upset that Quick was bothered by certain things? Jesus. Just because Writer A can put up with stuff doesn't mean Writer B -- after 13 years of putting up with it -- wants to put up with it anymore. And what's wrong with calling out Blazers for lack of access, and for doing same with Oregon coaches? Fans claim not to care about access, but when something goes wrong at a program/with a team, first thing fans ask, "How did that reporter/the newspaper not know that was going on?" Of course, the flipside: When a reporter writes 'negative,' it's, "Why do you not like Team A?"

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Millions of people watched The Hills, Teen Mom, fucking Storage Wars and a bunch of asshats making duck calls, and it's completely inconceivable that Blazers fans who read a guy for 13 years don't care at all what he thinks?

If journalists want to be "fade into the background" persona and not care if anyone cares, that's one thing. To be certain they don't is a basic ignorance of human nature.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

None of that makes me care any more. Knock yourself out and care about whatever you want.

I want to read reporters, not naval-gazers. Reporters and columnists often think they're more important than they are, which in my experience directly correlates to a decline in the quality of their work.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Quick is as good as they get, just surprised he was surprised people would lie to him after 13 years on the beat.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This wasn't really the bulk of his work, it was just a one-off and after he was done with the beat. I assume the whole thing took occurred in less than an hour's time.

People do care about this stuff. A lot. We've all had the experience of being the life of the party because people (many of whom make 2-3 times as much as we do) want to know the ins and outs of our job. Talking to sportswriters about how they do their jobs was one of the early staples that got The Big Lead noticed, and that's in a crowd that is naturally inclined to hate sportswriters.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Some of the responses on this thread are really disappointing.

Draft saved Draft deleted