1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason King to Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. B/R is trying to upgrade its credibility that it felt it didn't really have as a site to be taken seriously by hiring some serious, big-name writers. People are taking notice. Good for them.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can't believe they didn't simply promote a bunch of the people that blogged for them.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Imagine how pissed you be if you spent 5 years SEO raping for free on their behalf, helping make the original owner $250 million, and when the money started finally going to the writers, they wouldn't even give you a look.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Really? Did you read the story? They all but said they made mistakes in what they were doing and had to go in a different direction with things. They needed credibility hires. It wasn't coming from the staff of bloggers.

6. Schottey

Schottey Member

The question is not whether or not they hired from within (they did, there are plenty of us who worked up through the ranks and are now full-time). We exist. I think, therefore I am. All that...

No, the question is whether or not any of you would care if they put our names in a press release. You wouldn't, so they don't.

Probably even more under-the-radar, however, is that a lot of the one-time top writers on the site—kids who were college interns, or working the newsdesk as our first full-time paid staff—are now editors. Two associate NFL editors started as unpaid writers. I personally worked with one of our NBA assistant editors when he was interning while at UMass. Another former writing intern is in charge of community/moderation. Our video staff is stacked similarly.

Cream rises to the top—that was always the "promise" associated with B/R. Are there people that wanted a bigger piece of the pie that wasn't there for them? Sure. But I hate when it's painted as some sort of either/or. Mike Freeman and I work side-by-side, and we've only had one gladiatorial-style deathmatch once...and that was completely our choice.

7. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

It's a new day. Nobody owes you anything. You work for two weeks, they pay you, and then the relationship begins for another two weeks. That's freakin' it. Or, if you are a blogger being paid $2 for every 1,000 page views of your blog, you pull out your calculator at the end of the month and tally your take.

Besides, if I am Bleacher Report, and I am looking to make a big credibility splash, then sorry, I don't promote the bloggers who were making $2 for every 1,000 page views. It's just business, and it often ain't pretty.

Draft saved Draft deleted