1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason King story on Roy Williams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

D-3 really nails it right there.

Roy can't be shocked Kansas fans still hate his guts, not after he said he was there for life three years before he left. Get over it, Roy.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To be fair, D-3, there a bunch of Chapel Hill fanswho would encourage him to pack his bags and head back to Kansas if he weren't having the success he is. But some of those fans who don't suffer from cranial-rectal fusion also realize that with the exception of Marvin Williams, Roy won that national title in Chapel Hill with the recruits of Matt Doherty. That stigma won't go away until Roy takes the crown again.

I also can't agree that we all saw Roy heading back to Chapel Hill. Given that Doherty was a youngster when he went back Blueland from South Bend, at least in terms of coaching age, he could have been there a long time ... until the players revolted (whether or not that was orchestrated by Dick Baddour/Dean Smith/Rams Club we may never know).

The one thing I do have to rethink is sometimes Roy comes off as disingenous. At times it's so bad that I'd almost rather have the mind games that Dean Smith used to pull on the bench. That crap with Roy can get old, but I do believe in this case that he's really sick of how he's regarded back in Kansas.

Some have - and will - say that he needs to get over that. But it boils down to human beings wanting to be liked. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Roy needs to get over Kansas as much as Kansas fans need to get over Roy. It's a two-way street.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Honestly, I know of one, maybe two people who are bitter at Roy. That's it. Given how many friends I have who are KU people, and the family I have that supports KU, that's a very small number we're talking about.

One of those bitter people named her dog "Roy." After the coach left town, she didn't feel good about calling her dog by her name, so she gave it away. She vowed not to name a pet after another coach again.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

holy crap. She needs help.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nah, she's fine. Just bitter about Roy, like a small minority of Kansas fans are.

This isn't Kentucky, where boosters put so much pressure on Tunny Smith to win that he felt the need to resign, nevermind that he won a national title there. Nor is this Indiana, where they ran off Mike Davis not long after he took the Hoosiers to the NCAA Tournament final, only to lose to Maryland, because that wasn't good enough. And I doubt Ben Howland would make many people happy without winning a national title in 15 years at UCLA. Ditto anyone who coaches the Tar Heels.

But Roy did go 15 years without a title in Lawrence, and very, very few people complained. In fact, he was treated like royalty that no one wanted to see go. No way Tubby Smith would have gotten the treatment he got from Kentucky fans if he accomplished the same in Lawrence, so it bothers me when I read comments about how KU fans need to get over Roy. Most are, as backed up by the poll King cited in his story by the KC Star, but that doesn't make for a great national story.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great story.

8. Jimmy Pips

Jimmy Pips Member

http://deadspin.com/375741/kansas-fans-have-every-right-to-hate-roy-williams

This cracked me up. Highlights of the post:

Draft saved Draft deleted