1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Kidd calls it a career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 3, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I want to see this evolve into player-coach. Cousy is the last one, right? I remember watching Mike Dunleavy take the floor as a player-assistant coach and launch a woefully off-target three-point attempt with his team down three at the buzzer.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who is out there for Kidd to add to his staff? He's going to have a couple veteran assistants.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Has that ever happened before, where someone retires as a player and immediately becomes a head coach? I can't think of any precedent. Usually guys start out as assistants for a couple of years before getting a head coaching job.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was about to say Bill Russell but he was a player-coach as were several others who went that way. You might be right.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Had forgotten about Russell. Wonder if anyone would try a player-coach thing in this era?

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I just don't see it as doable in this era. Preparation is so much more detailed nowadays with videotape and scouting reports. I can see where it might be attractive to a penny-pinching owner, especially in the era of $4-million a year coaches, but I also don't see anyone who's still playing who would want to take on the responsibility of coaching.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I was thinking more from a players' association deal. If one player is also coach and he has control over playing time and such, it affects too many contracts with incentives.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lenny Wilkens and Al Attles also come to mind as player-coaches. Not to forget Bob Cousy's brief comeback with the Royals.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Dunleavy retired and immediately got a coaching job. I think Don Nelson did too...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Avery Johnson spent less than a year as an assistant coach post-retirement before he took over for Don Nelson.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think this makes perfect sense in one aspect. Deron Williams. Williams has "killed" veteran coaches, players coaches and interim coaches. If Kidd can't get Williams back to his previous level - Williams will probably be moved.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly. Williams loves the hire and that's the only reason Kidd got the job. I'm not sure what Williams' contract situation is, but if Kidd's presence keeps Williams in Brooklyn, then mission accomplished.

Draft saved Draft deleted