1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jason Kidd calls it a career

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I kind of figured that he'd be back after a while to say, "Just Kidding!"

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Interesting. If they both make hof, which looks possible according to the sj crowd, would they be the first co winners of a regular season award to pull of such an accomplishment?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Nos. 2 and 3 overall and were much better right from the start than No. 1 overall Glenn Robinson.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

In any sport? No.

In the NFL, Barry Sanders and Brett Favre won co-MVP in 1997. Both will be in the HOF.

In the NHL, the Vezina Trophy used to be awarded to the goaltenders for the team that allowed the fewest goals that season. So in 1974, Bernie Parent and Tony Esposito shared the Vezina (although they were on different teams.) In 1969, Glenn Hall and Jacques Plante shared it for the Blues. In 1965, Johnny Bower and Terry Sawchuck shared it for the Leafs. All Hall of Famers.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Thanks buck...my memory was on zero last night.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If memory serves, Glenn Robinson was a no-brainer at No. 1 that year.

Oops...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

LOL. Mizzou, hindsight being what it is, Rice wouldn't have been No. 1 but at the time, you have to admit, there was no argument over his status.

8. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Kidd amazed me. I think guys like this should head down to the local sperm bank and donate til they own the place. Athletes who can go at a high level well into their 40s have plenty to offer society. Hell of a player.

9. Mizzougrad96

If you're talking about the 1989 draft, I'm guessing that's got to be the worst draft I can remember, but that's from a Kings fan who went to Arco Arena to boo the Pervis Ellison pick. To be fair, every person in that building wanted them to pick Stacey King. :D Yeah, safe to say Glen Rice was the best player among the top picks that year.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Not many could pack this much stupid into a one line post.

He's a HOF lock, obviously.

And he didn't stay too long. Kidd had an excellent close to his career. He won his first Championship in 2011, playing tremendously throughout the playoffs and Finals, and was solid these last couple season, and improved the Knicks this year (at least until the playoffs).

I think the only time I ever watched Kidd and thought "he just cannot cut it anymore" was in this year's Pacers series, where he indeed was woeful. Appears he realized it too, because he retired right after that series, didn't stay one day past his expiration date. Looks to me like he timed it perfectly.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Agreed. Stay and do it until you can't, because the window of opportunity is such a small one. Making it until you're 40 in the NBA says something. Hated to see no longer had the legs anymore in the Pacers' series.

He's a first ballot Hall of Famer. No doubt about it. His numbers are off the charts and he piled up triple-doubles with the best of them. Nobody ran an offense like he did. To me, he always seemed like he saw the play 10 minutes or so before it happened. To me, he's one of the 10 best point guards in NBA history.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'll go as far as to call Kidd a first ballot lock.

Draft saved Draft deleted