1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jase unloads on Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 9, 2007.

1. You're kidding.
    People sometimes struggle to live lives consonant with their professed religion?
    Well, cut off my legs and call me Jim Bakker.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock wrote
    Why didn't someone tell me Andy Reid was black? ;)

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You took me a bit too literally, I believe. By coddling vs. tough love, I simply meant that he didn't throw them out on the street and tell them to get their lives in order, and take the attitude that if they end up in prison, they have no one to blame but themselves. It'd imagine it is really hard for most fathers to do that -- even though sometimes it ends up being what works best. A lot of people learn how to swim before they sink.

I'd stop short of saying that he ignored his kids, they way you did. I have no clue what his relationship is like with his kids, although I do know the lifestyles most NFL coaches live, and it's pretty much a certainty that he has not been around much. Either way, lots of kids grow up in latch key environments and don't end up as screwed up as those kids, and in as much trouble with the law. It doesn't necessarily make Andy Reid responsible for all of their bad behavior. At a certain point, a 20-something-year-old is an adult responsible for his own behavior. What I was surmising--perhaps incorrectly--is that a lot of times when you have jobless, 20-something kids still living at home, it's because the kids have problems and you are afraid to unleash them on the world, for fear that they might get themselves into bigger trouble than they have already shown a propensity for. If that was the case, it doesn't mean Reid was ignoring them -- although he may not have been the constant presence you are suggesting he needed to be. It means he was being a dad; trying to protect his kids (unsuccessfully).

I don't know if I have it exactly right, but my bet is that there is at least an element of what I am saying to the story of the Reids.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There were reports that the boys were made to take piano lessons late into their teens and become full-blown Eagle Scouts.

I have nothing against the scouts, but I believe I'd ingest a Pez sleeve of whatever these guys were on to avoid the scouts beyond age 12. Which is saying nothing of piano lessons.

Draft saved Draft deleted