1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jase unloads on Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 9, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Dungy situation and the Reid situation are not really that comparable for reasons that have been mentioned -- and ignored by those who don't like Whitlock -- numerous times on this and other threads about the situation.

That being said, some of the most fucked up, selfish, degenerate, dipshit, wannabe gangster assholes I know came from homes where they had attentive, loving, strict parents and the Beaver Cleaver existence.

Yes, parenting is very important and parents should be held accountable for their kid's actions -- but every bad kid and/or bad adult is not the product of bad parents or bad parenting.

And the only people who try to make the case that they are likely don't have kids.

2. Wow. Suddenly you sound like every athlete who's ever dismissed a sports writer by claiming he "never played the game."

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can go ahead and argue it all day (without me . . . ), but women hold the trump card in this debate, and virtually all male-originated arguments don't hold water.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And, in many cases, those aspersions are warranted.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Karen Crouse did a nice job on a Reid story in the New York Times this morning.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A little more nuance than Mr. Whitlock. And a lot more reporting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/sports/football/11reid.html?adxnnl=1&ref=sports&adxnnlx=1194786078-WW4zvmr/hRz1I31DvK5pYw

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean the Reids aren't a nice Mormon family? ;D

8. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

I'm going to guess that question never gets answered.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The most impressive thing about this column is that Whitlock managed to get through the whole thing without once referring the "hip hop and prison culture"

I wasn't sure that was possible.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But Whitlock wrote an opinion column and Times story was a feature and really one that provides little new insight.

No one has yet to define what the Judge really meant by "drug emporium" and no one has even come close to hitting on most interesting part of story - how did 2 kids from a strict Mormon household get so far off the tracks.

11. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

Boom, you are assuming a fact not in evidence. "Strict Mormon household" is a cliche. We don't know it was a strict household. We don't know if they even practice their religion.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

So Jason is now Dr. Spock. I thought he was supposed to be some sort of half-ass anthropologist.

I have to believe that if these "kids" (vocationally unemployed and living at home in their mid-20s) either chose or were allowed to forego the LDS mission that the vast majority of 19-year-old Mormon males are persuaded, nay --obligated -- to take, then the religion wasn't taken very seriously in the family.

Inside the NFL and other purveyors of tripe have before projected an image of the Reids as a tightly-knit family.

I've done some shit in this world I ain't proud of, but when you do what these guys did, refer to Dad as "the Eagles coach" and then further humiliate everyone involved by packing 90 pills up your rectum, then you've been failed by. There's not much other explanation.

Draft saved Draft deleted