1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jase unloads on Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 9, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, since we all can sit here and criticize someone's parenting job when their adult-aged offspring does something stupid. Not nominating Reid or Dungy as Father of the Year, but c'mon.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Really? That could be me? Drugs and stuff laying around your house as to resemble a drug emporium? I don't think so.

I think the Dungy thing rings home more to a parent as "that could be me". Kid not living at home, but not yet has adult maturity. Gets into trouble and since parent isn't living in same town, they have no way of knowing.

3. poindexter

The drugs were laying around in Reid's house.. After the Reids were on double secret probation. For pete's sake how clueless is mom? Andy at least has an excuse, he's at the office 20 hours a day.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Yes. And he got one from Mr. Whitlock, too, which is why this column rings a little false.

5. Why is it people with the best advice on how to raise kids are the same folks who don't have any?
    ::)

Whitlock said some solid points.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It starts long before the house becomes a drug emporium....there are countless sane and responsible parents trying to deal with kids barrelling down the road to hell. That's what I'm referring to.

But the road divides at some point, when some parents turn their heads and hope for the best, and others do whatever it takes to clean up the house, or get the kids some help, or whatever. It might not work, but your house doesn't look like the Taj Mahal in Jungle Fever.

My point, though, was related to whether Reid is getting a pass that a black coach might not get.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Authority figures get a pass. Celebrities get a pass. This is a class issue as much as it is a racial issue, and that's where Mr. Whitlock's central thesis goes soft.

Even the hypothetical he chooses - that if this were some character on 'The Wire' they'd get a much stiffer justice - can be read in the light of class rather than race. Rich, powerful people mostly get off with a scolding. Poor folks - black and white - go to jail. That truth of class distinction in this country weakens his race argument here.

What truly undermines it though, is his call that Reid pipe up publicly about his family's problems. And that the media hold Reid's feet to the fire for a public confession about what a rotten parent he is and how sorry he is, and I'm taking a year off and just say no to drugs, kids.

That he seems never to have made the call for Mr. Dungy to do likewise - out of respect, no doubt, for the family's grief - undoes not only the race argument, but the moral necessity for such a public display of contrition and regret on the occasion of a family tragedy.

8. poindexter

Tell you what. When pro sports franchises stop giving out Man of the Year awards to "great humanitarians", or awards for "high moral character" to characters like Eugene Robinson, I will quit commenting on the personal lives of public people. It's a two-way street. If these guys are eligible to get smoke blown up their ass (when we really don't know the personal character of these people), they are eligible for criticism when Andy and Tammy Reid's home is labeled a "drug emporium" by a judge.

9. Gee. What a strong fellow you are, too.
    Any drugs ever pass by Jason in the champagne room?
    That's somebody's daughter wiggling her ass on what used to be your lap. JW.

10. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

Nothing you can do about two fucked up adults at this point except love them, I guess. But if the rest of his kids are the issue, and if they are doing well, why would you quit your job? I will say, the Reids would be crazy to let those guys live in the house again after getting out of jail. I don't know why they let them back in after their arrests -- maybe it was a lawyer thing, or a drug counselor suggestion.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a perfect post.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why? What does a (legal) lap dance have to do with a household full of drugs and guns?

Draft saved Draft deleted