1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jared Loughner Ruled Incompetent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 25, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know what you mean. I sincerely am always curious about people's full thoughts on topics. When they post short sentences hinting at something larger, it makes me curious.

What's wrong with that?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It means you won't be fit to stand trial after you shoot the fucker. :D

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

By that logic, Hank Scorpio would not be fit to stand any trial.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I think you're giving "trained" psychologists too much credit. It's not an exact science, to say the least. Some testify for the prosecution; some for the defense. Depends on the theory being advanced, their area of expertise, money, etc...

That being said, I'm pretty sure Loughner is batshit. He'll never see the outside of a mental facility beyond his court dates. My question, though, is why the four month wait? From my understanding, he has four months to decide whether or not he wants to take the antipsychotic medications that could possibly render him capable of standing trial. If Loughner shows up for his next court date and has refused to accept any medication at that point, the judge can then order him to take the antipsychotic meds. Again, why the four month wait? Perhaps my understanding of this information is incorrect, but that seems like a long time to stand around and ask someone to take a pill. It's not like they're waiting 16 weeks to determine whether or not the medicine is actually working...

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

They knew he was insane before his gun cooled off. Remember, he was some right-wing nutjob? He was the result of hateful political speech? It was because there was a scary black liberal in office, right?

Remember this hit from TheSportsPredictor?
    "And thus ends the career of Sarah Palin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/24/sarah-palins-pac-puts-gun_n_511433.html

Hopefully she will face charges. She and all who support her are complicit."

Or this little diddy from Hey Abbott
    "You're right on an obvious level, but the use of gun sights and her(FoxNEWS) overly aggressive rhetoric and symbolism is a sign that she(FoxNEWS) is, at best, an immature thoughtless blowhard with delusions of grandeur. At worst, she's(FoxNEWS) so self absorbed with her own self righteousness, that she(FoxNEWS) may actually believe that those that oppose her(FoxNEWS) are evil, in the biblical sense, and her(FoxNEWS) opponents need to be cast out, by an means necessary."

He also followed with this gem:
    "People who use violence for political reasons in relatively free and democratic countries, do so because they feel emboldened and empowered by the likes of Sarah Palin. When the Klan was murdering Blacks in the South with relative impunity, they did it because they was a segment of the political structure that acquiesced. The Klan exists still, but they don't kill with impunity any more, because the Strom Thurmonds and George Wallaces no longer are around to nod and wink at the Klan. But as long as FoxNEWS, Jim DeMint and Sarah Palin wink and nod at the ultra-right wing fascist bigots, political murders and violence will exist."

RickStain chimed in with:
    "Disagree. Unless this was an incredibly unfortunate random event and the guy just felt like shooting up a crowd, this was a political assassination. It can't not be political when discussing it."

Funny, I remember no apologies or admissions that they were wrong. The amazing thing was that the normal lefties like Piotr and Dick were both telling people to calm down and wait for the facts, to act like journalists. But they incorrectly smelled blood in the water and made fools of themselves.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's still no conclusive evidence Loughner was NOT acting, in his mind, at the behest of the right-wing screech brigade.

Regardless of who spurred him (or so he thought) to his actions, he knew he was killing people.

He should be fucking snuffed.

A Mother Fucking Example: If you hear funny voices in your head telling you to kill, tell them to STFU.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Yeah, or maybe it was his pet hamster, or Barack Obama speaking in code, or the Beatles' White Album. The point is that, regardless of what set him off it had nothing to do with politics.

And I completely agree, snuff this fucker. Let God worry about making his mind right.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

As a Republican, I take issue with that. Those who are truly mentally deranged do not deserve execution, IMO. Life in an institution so they don't harm anybody else, absolutely. But the way this country has chosen to deal with mental health issues is horrifying. An absolute travesty.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

As a human being I am offended by all the abuse of the mental defect defense. I find it hard to believe he did not know what he was doing was wrong.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I agree that the not guilty by reason of insanity defense is abused. But if someone is truly psychotic, I can't understand condemning them to death.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I see your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted