1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

janitor vs. journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i pointed out long ago i wasn't looking down on any person. i simply was being honest.

and i don't define any person for what they do eight hours a day. let's be clear about that.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I wouldn't dare venture to say journalism has little or no value at all. Hell, it was and is my business.

But I am saying some people seem to have elevated it to demi-god status and that's one of the reasons many readers are rejecting their newspapers.

I don't, however, want this to head in the direction of 'what needs to be fixed in journalism'.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The problem is that this ignores that "willingness to be a janitor" and "willingness to be a reporter" are both aptitudes, and one is much scarcer than the other.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Aptitude is not about desire or will. It is simply the capacity to do something. I did adress willingness, which I was considering as a separate thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted