1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

janitor vs. journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Mar 8, 2009.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Really? We're so PC that we now can't make the observation that putting out a Sunday sports section is more difficult than janitorial work? Seriously?

Tebow wept ...

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This thread is a magnet for the easily offended and those who enjoy offending.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

So's agate.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Is anyone saying mindless? I'm not. I'm looking for a perspective of value. Why should journalists be so much more valued by society to think to the point where people are offended that janitors make more?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's a mindless post that proves my point much more than yours.

EDIT TO ADD: if your jan. staff called in sick, think you could figure out how to empty your trash? if your agate person called in sick, are you leaning on your janitor for a little bit of help?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

because it's mindless work that takes little to no training or skill.

how's that for the obvious?

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Think somebody already posted this, but if all the janitors didn't show up for work tomorrow, life would be a lot more difficult.

Not so sure it's the same for journalists. Life would go on without the news for a day or two.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who'd lose more money?

and really, i could live with my trash can being half full. more yet, i could empty my own trash if it ever approached the level of 50 percent full ... for the sweet love of christ.

think a janitor could figure out how to make a long dash after a dateline?

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Good grief, that's your argument? Christ, 10-year-olds can figure that out.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

again, you failed to grasp the point, badly.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is also another factor that contributes to the higher salary for a janitor than for a journalist. Journalism is a career people aspire to. It is a career many of us have made sacrifices for. We have worked insane hours for ridiculously-low pay just to have the opportunity, not to mention all the other stupid shit we are always complaining about on this site.

People will take that crappy, $20K job because they hope it will lead to something better.

Do people really dream of being janitors? It's not a job that leads somewhere and it's not a job people aspire to. It's a job nobody really wants unless they just need the money, which inflates the salaries a bit.

This isn't a value judgement of journalists and janitors as people. I've never met a janitor and walked away thinking he was an asshole. I have had that exact experience many times with journalists. I'm sure a few people have had that experience with me.

But in terms of the skill level required for the work, with all due respect to the PC police, we aren't seriously having that argument, are we?

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

No, you're failing to grasp the point. As much as you'd like to believe otherwise, you're not an integral cog in the big machine that is the world.

Deal with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted