1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

janitor vs. journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Mar 8, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I understood the question. It's just that my own selfishness is the only good reason I can come up with.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Swing and a miss. If it were that easy to be a good janitor, nobody would be hiring one for $33,000/yr. It's not as intellectual a job, but that doesn't make it a lesser one.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shiiiiit. then you never bothered watching what your janitors did at your newspaper.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Being a janitor at a school is quite a bit different than being one at a newspaper. You're dealing with a lot of shit -- in every meaning of the word. Just because they might not have gone to college or are using a liberal arts education in their day-to-day life doesn't mean they're of lesser stock and their work doesn't matter.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

For those of you who look down on janitors, I have the perfect tattoo for you:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

never said a janitor was less of a person. never suggested it. as a matter of fact, if you remember, i'm one of the loudest "voices" here in saying i could give two shits if someone has a degree when they apply for a job in which i'm hiring.

some of the biggest assholes i know own college degrees.

but to suggest a janitor's job is anything other than mindless is ridiculous. i think most folks would be able to figure out their trash-filing system: this one for trash, this one for recycling.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But at a school, with hundreds of snot-nosed drooling kids throwing up and peeing all over the place, the janitor's job is a little more epic than "trash goes here, recyclables go here", wouldn't you say?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Biggest jerk I know has four college degrees.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no i wouldn't, mm. you're still cleaning up shit.

and honestly, i judge people for who they are when i make friends, i could give two shits what you do to make a living. one of my best friends in life lays carpet. another drives heavy equipment and digs holes in the earth and then covers them back up.

putting too much emphasis on what people do for a living is idiotic. but we still can be honest with each other without looking down our noses.

10. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Go figure, some of the biggest assholes I know are journalists.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

still doesn't make scrubbing a toilet any less mindless, does it?

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hey, someone could really clean up in that job.

Draft saved Draft deleted