1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

janitor vs. journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Mar 8, 2009.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Where I coach, being cool with the janitors gets us more perks than asking the athletic director for things.

Janitors are also great people to get to know on your beat. They are always around. They know everything.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good to know the janitor signs off on your travel budget.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

If you were half as smart of an ass as you'd pretend to be, you'd actually make sense.
    Stop trolling.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now there's a college educated sentence.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I once served as a mentor (read: camp counselor) for a summer camp at St. Mary's College of Maryland. The powers that be who ran the camp told us to go through them to get stuff fixed that needed fixing. I tried that to get my room's air conditioning fixed. Didn't happen.

Some of my kids complained that their room's air conditioning wasn't working at all one day. Later that day, I saw a janitor who asked me how things were going to make small talk. I mentioned the room that had no air conditioning. I saw the janitor taking notes and making sure he had the right room. Later that night, the room's air conditioning was fixed.

Treat EVERYONE the way you'd like to be treated all the time. Don't look down on janitors because it will bite you in the end.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

[​IMG]

“You guys think I am just some untouchable peasant? Peon? Huh? Maybe so, but following a broom around after shitheads like you for the past eight years I’ve learned a couple of things. . . I look through your letters. I look through your lockers. I listen to your conversations, you don’t know that, but I do. . . I am the eyes and ears of this institution my friends.”

7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

You still have answered my question.

I'll repeat.

What makes a journalist more valued than a janitor?

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I no longer think that 700 people applying for a janitor job is amazing.

In fact, you never know. Many of those 700 applicants may have been out-of-work journalists.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

You think he got over Brian pretending not to know him yet?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My desire to make a good living as a journalist?

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Was I asking you?

Besides, you clearly don't understand the question.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

let me take a swing at that: because not every person in the world can write/layout/edit/whatever much less write/layout/edit/whatever on deadline, while you can train a monkey to mop a floor, scrub a toilet and take out the trash.

Draft saved Draft deleted