1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

janitor vs. journalist

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Mar 8, 2009.

1. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

I had a job when I was young, just riding a tractor mower and cutting grass on big fields. Didn't pay much, and I wanted to get out of there and do something important.

I've been in newspapers for half my life now, doing something important, I guess, but the thrill is gone and we can't do it right anymore anyway.

These days I'm hoping to ride that tractor mower again.
    Cut that grass the way grass is supposed to be cut.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I wasn't making much more than that when I left my last stop in early February. And I was there for seven years.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my father, who worked for the state and didn't own a college degree, made $22 an hour back in 1981.

why should $16 an hour make any of us all that pleased?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Can't say it pleases me, but I make less than that.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's an outrage that a custodian engineer (janitor) makes more than a college educated scribe.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How do you know the janitor isn't college educated?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Disagree. As long as college-educated scribes continue to accept those paltry salaries (and yeah, I didn't make 33k 'til I was 28), it's not an outrage. It's simple economics.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think being based on economic and being outrageous are mutually exclusive.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

How do you know that he is college educated?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Um, your assumption, implicit in you statement, is that the janitor isn't. Otherwise, why would you refer to a "college educated scribe".

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

You assumed. I didn't.
    And what difference does it make? The bottom line is that a janitor makes more than a journalist. That to me is an outrage and I'm speaking as a journalist.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why is it an outrage? I don't understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted