1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Janet Coats 'steps down' in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Her name has come up a time or two on here.
    http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/dec/07/tribune-executive-editor-janet-coats-stepping-down/news-breaking/

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

A running joke in the newsroom today is, "You go, girl. Go ... really, just go."

Spies say Janet has just returned from a visit to Media General headquarters in Virginia, fighting -- to her credit -- against a plan to consolidate all copy editing functions for all MG papers in one location. And that location would be neither Tampa nor Richmond, according to the grapevine.

Read into that what you will.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If that's true, at least she went down fighting the good fight.

4. Moderator1

If she can knock that plan to the ground, she's a hero in my book.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hickory: Ground Zero for MG editing.

6. reformedhack

You're not too far off the mark, from what I hear.

7. Moderator1

Hmmmm. Winston?

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Apparently she thought it was worth fighting for.

(Yeah, it actually is.)

9. reformedhack

Yep. That's the prevailing theory. Big enough to handle the sophistication of metro copy, small enough to pay cheaply. The line has it that MG considered Tampa and Richmond, but wants to avoid a unionized shop (Richmond) or metropolitan pay scale (Tampa). Diabolical, if true.

10. Moderator1

So, does this plan call for ALL desk operations to be based in one locale? I would assume Richmond area HS coaches would still call Richmond? They'd have to have some desk in Tampa and Richmond. Right?

11. reformedhack

All desk functions, yes ... that is my understanding, which is fairly limited and admittedly third-hand. I only have the headline and the nutgraf, not the full story.

I would think they would have *some* people at each paper taking calls -- basically, redefining the concept of the local desk and considering the people to be "content gatherers" or somesuch hokum -- who can answer phones, compile a roundup and ship it to the universal desk for editing. The actual mechanics of the deal, I'm not privy to.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's the best news the Trib has had all year.

From the sounds of it, the Tribune is doing better than some people (Myself included) thought. A few months ago, I was sure this was going to be the next big paper to fold.

Glad to see that doesn't appear to be the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted