1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Janesville sports reporter dies of cancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mira, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Mira

Mira Member

I knew John and he was a solid reporter and passionate about auto racing. He did an amazing job with his column about battling cancer. Don't know if I would have had the courage to write it. Below is a link to his final column.

http://www.gazettextra.com/weblogs/fighting-words-one-mans-battle-against-cancer/2009/oct/01/waning-days-21-month-battle/#

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Condolences to the McPoland family.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Condolences to the McPoland family also. I lived in Janesville for years and my kids still live there, so I read the Gazette regularly. Always enjoyed his columns.

It's always been amazing to me (not in a good way, either) how fast the end can come with cancer. My fiancee Melody was diagnosed May 6, 2004 and died six weeks later. Neither of us had any idea just how bad it was right up until the end. She went to the hospital with stomach cramps on a Saturday night and was gone 48 hours later.

RIP, John. What an inspirational column. And that lede ... what a way to grab the reader's attention.

Some day, we'll beat this fucking disease and send it to the scrap heap of history. And then we'll never have to read a posting like this again.

Some day.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sounds like he put up a hell of a fight and touched a lot of lives. Really the best any of us can ask for.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't know him, but RIP anyways.

Tremendous column, and the comments after it are a nice read too.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Agreed. I hope that day comes soon. I've known too many people who have had to go through this.

I knew John from when he worked at a paper nearby here. Always a good guy. This is sad to read this.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

A very nice column. If you're going to write your own epitaph, it'd be tough to top that one.

RIP, John, and very best wishes to your family and friends.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Cancer sucks. That is all.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Sincere condolences to the McPoland family.

What a courageous, heartfelt final column. And as Baron said, the comments are special

RIP, Mr. McPoland

Draft saved Draft deleted