1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jan. 3 bowl thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah. In the end, there can be only one. :D

Great job on handling the kickoff there, UConn. :D

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Come 'on, MAC school!

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Let me see if I get this straight --

5-19 and loser of ten in a row Gene Chizik gets a bigger job

Brady Hoke, who lost to Buffalo in the Mac championship game, gets a bigger job

Something named Doug Marrone with no head coaching experience and no real extensive college experience gets a job.

Yet Turner Gill is still at Buffalo.

Yep that seems right to me.......

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Huggy, I should have taken you up on your offer of tickets for the International Bowl. Just got back from errands and it's looking like a pretty good game.

Dropped my kid off at the GO Station at 11:50. He thought it was a 1:00 kick-off. Oh, well.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Brady Hoke got a bigger job? I guess.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm of the thinking that Gill is waiting for a big one. One more 7 or 8 win season at Buffalo, combined with some big gigs likely opening next season, and he's going to be sitting damned pretty.

And how does a team have five turnovers in a half and only trail by three? Edsall is pretty f-ing lucky, methinks.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Brady Hoke is a better coach than Turner Gill. Who still lost a bunch of games at Buffalo this year. Ball State only lost one. Anyway, Hoke's move was a lateral one, at best.

I'm sorry for not thinking Gill is going to be the next big mid-major to jump to a big conference and succeed. I'd like to see a 12-1 season or two before I believe that. Otherwise he's going to be another Gerry Dinardo.

8. sportschick

Do you realize how bad Buffalo was before Gill got there? I mean it's obvious that you don't.

Ohio (which is complete and utter fail at football) could pencil in Buffalo as a win before Gill got there. The Bulls were worse than Washington, Wazzu and Idaho were this year.

9. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

BG fired its coach in 2000 after he lost to Buffalo, giving the Bulls their first D IA win.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Actually I do. I think he needs more time.

11. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Hoke's move was not lateral. He's in a way better conference in a better city and a WAY better HS football state. Will he ever field a ranked team? Maybe not, but he's making over 700K and living in one of the nicest cities in the country and has a way better recruiting state.

12. sportschick

Why? Getting that team to 7 or 8 wins is an amazing feat given the program's history. You must work for Auburn.

Draft saved Draft deleted