1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jan 25 is Robbie Burns Day...as a public service, here's a haggis recipe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 24, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Uh, just because I'm a distant descendant doesn't mean I eat shit like sheep's stomachs, or have an accent, or care at all about anything Scottish.

But please, judge my worth as someone who is like 18 generations removed from someone else. Guess what? My dad's grandmother was full-blooded Cherokee. I don't know any made-up Native American holidays either.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

FWIW, he's known as Robbie Burns among my Scots/Irish family.

Here's a poem for you IJAG, to cheer you up:

http://www.poetry-archive.com/b/o_my_luves_like_a_red_red_rose.html

3. imjustagirl

And that, right there, is why I mostly hate poetry.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's nane that's blest of human kind,
    But the cheerful and the gay, man,
    Fal, la, la, &c.

Here's a bottle and an honest friend!
    What wad ye wish for mair, man?
    Wha kens, before his life may end,
    What his share may be o' care, man?

Then catch the moments as they fly,
    And use them as ye ought, man:
    Believe me, happiness is shy,
    And comes not aye when sought, man.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Made-up holiday?"

Fie, fie upon ye, lass!

Anyway, I won't be having haggis, but as is custom I'll be having a shot or two and end up reciting "Ode to a Haggis"... or, at least, the parts I can remember.

6. imjustagirl

Side note: I realized that my "suck it" probably came across poorly because I've only spoken with JR in person once or twice. Suck it is my standalone "take that" and was not meant as a personal affront.

I do sincerely apologize if you took that personally. It honestly was not meant that way. I say it probably 10 times a day, and it came out here.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My Glasgow-born old man, who would have erupted in a torrent of barely understandable profanity at the suggestion of it as a "made up holiday", always believed the correct pronunciation was Rabbie Burns....

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know a butcher store where I could probably get an authentic haggis but HC sure as hell wouldn't eat it. But she'd drink the single malt. :)

And IJAG, no need to apologize. I understand what you meant.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Funny, I thought of your old man as soon as I started this thread.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know if he ever had haggis, if you couldn't serve it with mushy peas and HP Sauce he wasn't interested. I had it once and it was an experience.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

As terrible as haggis sounds, it's not bad. There's a restaurant here in town that observes Robbie Burns Day, serves it. A few years ago, they also had a big to-do about celebrating the Glorious Twelfth, serving grouse. That was awesome.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think the traditional accompaniment is "neets" (mashed turnips) and "tatties" (mashed potatoes)

Draft saved Draft deleted