1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jamie Moyer, HOFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My assertion from this discussion on the baseball running thread (which, it appears, Conlin is trolling for material):

None of the discussion on that thread or this one has changed my mind. Congrats to Jamie if he gets to 300 wins, but no way should he be a Hall of Famer.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've got one too Michael and you're right, if he gets 300, it will deserve merit but there are other pitchers who belong in there before him.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If true, which I doubt, the Hall just lost all credibility

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

What is your malfunction?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't recall you ever saying that you were a Hall of Fame voter before.

Maybe you have, but I don't remember.

And Drip, you have to understand that you say a lot of things that stretch the belief of the audience here. And since you also tend to name drop and indicate how important & connected you are, it seems odd that you would have neglected to previously mention that you are a Hall voter.

I mean, Hall debates come up periodically and I think we're all interested in the opinions of Hall voters like Michael, not just for their own opinion but because they have a good sense of how the rest of the members will view a particular candidate.

For these reasons, I think it's understandable that JC, myself and others might express surprise at this revelation that you are a voter.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Man, that's tough. He can't even get in the Hall of Very Good? :D

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Jamie Moyer is practically the poster child for a Hall of Barely Above Average. He is not a Hall of Famer.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Even with an ERA over 4? He's good, not great.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, because most average MLB pitchers win 250 games in their career so the ones with 267 career wins are barely above average.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's fine if everyone wants their own definition. But the "HOUG" people need to quit acting like their meaning is the only acceptable one.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, he also figures in Moyer's salary, arguing that he is a bargain this season compared to Johan Santana. What the fuck does that have to do with Hall of Fame credentials?

Found this in a search for Conlin and Hall of Fame and I have a hard time disagreeing. Every time I see an explanation from him of an odd decision, Conlin reminds me what a disgrace it is that he ever even got to vote.
    http://deadspin.com/5443162/presenting-the-absolute-worst-hall-of-fame-voter-update

12. yeah, how about right now, in his late 40s

only six pitchers have more wins since opening day 2007 than Moyer

64 ... C.C. Sabbathia
    62 ... Roy Halladay
    56 ... Justin Verlander
    54 ... Adam Wainwright
    52 ... Dan Haren
    52 ... Andy Pettitte
    51 ... Jamie Moyer

moyer has 9 wins in 14 starts this year and is as effective today as he's ever been. in his last three starts, he's pitched 23 innings and allowed 5 earned runs

he's on pace to win 19 this year, which would put him at 277 going into 2011

if he stays healthy - granted a big if - he'll win 23 more games by 2012 and get to 300, and if he does, he's in

everybody who pitched in this century and won 290 games (and is eligible) is in

Draft saved Draft deleted