1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jamie Moyer, HOFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

If he gets to 300, I'd vote him on the first ballot and every one thereafter.

The bad news is I don't have a vote, and have no immediate hope of getting a vote.

The good news is Moyer is going to pitch so goddamn long, I've got a shot of having a vote when he's finally eligible. :D :D

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He was good for six last night, thanks in part to some slow baserunners who got gunned down at home, but baseball's a nine-inning game. Hudson was better.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Basically "how many HOFs can you name from the last 15-20 years", with a twist or two.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Now this is funny, I'm going to guess you're one of the ones who think wins is the most important stat. How Hudson pitched has no bearing on Strasburg, that is completely out of his control.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was awesome, thanks for linking.

Got 'em all in less than three minutes. :D

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Don Drysdale, Joe Namath, Deacon Jones, Wes Parker...all appeared on Brady Bunch. One of these kids is not like the other, one of these is not the same.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

There were a couple there where I was like "no fucking way."

I was surprised, too, to see the HOFer he has faced the most.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have a vote BYH, and if Moyer gets to 300, I'll sure vote for him, because that'd mean he was winning games in the bigs at age 50, and that would be Hall worthy.
    300 wins is far from a meaningless stat. It is a lifetime marker. You have to have been able to get guys out for going on two decades to get there. It's not like it's EASY to hold a major league starting rotation job. Do it for 20 years, you are bound to be in the Hall conversation. Three hundred and you're in.
    I see by this thread that once again stats are being used not always to illuminate, but to bolster the underlying assumption that most ballplayers just don't measure up to some imaginary concept of perfection, ergo, they don't honors or renown.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is exactly how I feel. I agree that Moyer doesn't compare to a Seaver or a Ryan, but I've always thought 300 wins and 3,000 hits were the marks that resulted in immediate enshrinement because of the longevity involved in getting there.

Now, if he ends his career at 292, he's not in, much like Harold Baines sputtering to a stop in the 2800s. But 300 is maybe the most magic number in baseball. I don't care if it takes the guy 37 years to get there. 300 deserves enshrinement.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So Michael, in your hall of fame, being one of the best players in the game isn't a prerequisite? What Moyer has done is remarkable, I don't think anybody would argue that, but for me, you need to be an elite player to get into the hall and Moyer has never been an elite player.

If you feel he's a hall of famer why does he have to reach some arbitrary number to make it in? Is he not in if only manages 294 wins? Does his ERA not come into play?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd like to again remind everyone that this is the Hall of *Fame*, not the Hall of Absolutely The Best Ballplayers Without Question.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and that means something different to every individual. For me, it should be reserved for the best of the best. I know that will never happen but when guys with ERA's of 4.23 are now considered HOFers I think it's insane.

Draft saved Draft deleted