1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jamie Moyer, HOFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Chocolate chip bagel? How old are you? Ten?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's Friday, man. And besides I didn't pay for it.

3. Headbutt - not for nothing but your little rant in the Breitbart thread was Charlie Pierce-esque and I'm not meaning that as a compliment. The political bias is why nobody buys into journalistic ethics anymore. Biased people are not to be trusted.

4. Flying Headbutt

I have biases against damn near any politician. I'm thoroughly disgusted with Breitbart, but when I'm talking politics off this board and just among friends and people in real life, most of my rants hammer Democrats where I am. You're right, biases should be looked at with suspicion. Breitbart proved it again.

5. Breitbart has an audience for a simple reason - the people who were supposed to be doing the job weren't doing it. That's why the Drudge Report is so widely read and why the National Enquirer is more likely to break a political scandal involving a Democrat than the New York Times. Blaming Brietbart is unseemly from anyone in the industry who blew it so badly with the responsibility that was handed to them.

Oh and the "when I'm with friends I'm more likely to hammer Democrats" rings as hollow as people who claim "but some of my best friends are black/Jewish/gay" etc.

Sorry.

6. Flying Headbutt

Well when Maryland/DC politics become relevant to this board I guess I'll prove you differently.

I know why Breitbart has an audience, though I don't think it's for the same reason you do. And I'm stunned you're absolving Breitbart for his transgression. Seriously.

If you want to further this discussion, PM me.

7. I'm not absolving Breitbart at all. I don't know enough about the situation to make a call either way. I do know that the White House took him seriously enough to fire that woman in a heart beat. That's not Breitbart's fault - that's the White House's fault. You want to blame someone - blame the White House.

As far as a PM - I only use PM's for naked pictures of 21 and Lugnuts (and sometimes unsolicited ones from Buck).

BTW - if Jamie Moyer gets in the HoF then Tim Wakefield needs to get in too

8. Flying Headbutt

Oh, I blame the WH. Plenty.

Can you pass some of those PMs to me? Not the ones from Buck, but the other ones.

And if Wakefield gets in then so does Charlie Hough. He kept the knuckler relevant after the Niekros were washed up.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Thank you Dick. Glad to know there are others who still read newspapers from other cities.
    Headbutt, it's amazing how an incredulous and stupid idea reached 12 pages.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This is kinda old, but I just read it on The Onion:

PHILADELPHIA—Following a 60-foot, six-inch voyage that began at the distant pitching rubber, a Jamie Moyer-thrown change-up arrived at home plate for a called third strike nearly 147 seconds after it was thrown. "There were a few minutes when I thought it would never get here," said Phillies catcher Chris Coste, who had to rise from his squatting position to stretch twice during the pitch's journey in order to keep the feeling in his legs. "First Ryan [Howard] almost cut it off to catch the runner going to second, then decided against it, then was about to grab it again before I shouted to him that it might count as a balk. Then the batter took a swing, backed up and took another swing before striking out when it hit the outside corner.After that, I had to wait in the catcher's box for what felt like forever when the runner decided to try to score all the way from first.And then you saw how [centerfielder] Shane [Victorino] almost ruined the whole thing when he ran past the pitch because he thought the inning was over. Thank goodness Jamie's change-up had that very, very late movement so that it eventually dipped around Shane and right into the sliding runner's path." Moyer later revealed that the pitch was a fastball.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Never seen that before, but it's actually pretty lame.

Draft saved Draft deleted