1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jamie Moyer, HOFer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Interesting read and argument by Bill Conlin of the Philadelphia Daily News.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20100629_Bill_Conlin__Jamie_Moyer_a_Hall_of_Famer_.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

What he said.

4. Mizzougrad96

33 wins are a lot to ask from someone his age. I say no way does he get there, to 300 or to Cooperstown.

Interesting argument from one of the writers who didn't vote for Nolan Ryan.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No.

6. Mizzougrad96

They have a great sporcle quiz of Hall of Famers who Moyer has faced. It's pretty amazing.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My first reaction was 'no' too, but what if he really can rubber-arm it for two more seasons and retire after 2012 with 300 wins?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I put Moyer in the same boat as Jim Kaat, pitchers who lasted long on the MLB level because they were left-handed, lucky, healthy, and had a little talent.

9. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Conlin builds that whole column around Moyer's win total. What are Moyer's other career numbers? His ERA is 4.22 -- definitely pedestrian. Ryan's, by contrast, was 3.19.

I'm certainly with those saying F no.

10. Mizzougrad96

If he gets to 300, he'd have to get 15 wins at least this season (possible) and then have two more solid seasons (a little less possible).

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Then he should be the first guy with 300 wins to be left out, IMO. It would be a remarkable achievement, but Moyer has never been dominant or one of the best pitchers in baseball. Slogging through 25+ seasons, averaging 11 or 12 wins a season, with a 4 + ERA makes you a study in longevity, but the HOF is for the best players. Was Moyer ever even a number 1 starter on his own staff? Even in his best years in Seattle, Freddie Garcia was considered the ace.

12. CR19

CR19 Member

If he makes 300 wins, he should go in the Hall. If he doesn't, no way.

Unfortunately, age doesn't equal success.

Draft saved Draft deleted