1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Dolan and the "do you know who I am?" card

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At least he unfired the guard.

2. So all I have to do to get into a game is look like Dolan?
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or one of the others. Or just scream DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!?

May need a tie while doing it.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What do you expect from a guy who insists his employees come and watch his band perform?
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hell, I've seen newspaper columnists freak out when they were stopped by security guards.
  6. printit

printit Member

What a jerk. He should have rewarded the woman for doing her job and doing it well. If she didn't recognize him, and he didn't have ID, she shouldn't have let him in. If the security guard used her discretion and let people in without ID, and something bad happened, it would be her ass on the line.

Used to be a cool story (probably apocryphal) about enlisted soldiers in the Civil War, and how one in the North didn't recognize Lincoln and one in the South didn't recognize Davis. Lincoln had the guy promtoted and Davis had the guy in the South demoted, or something like that.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There have been so many ne'er-do-well heirs taking over sports franchises, but I think we're down to Bill Bidwill and James Dolan for the all-time crown.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's great that leaders of big organizations just assume that security people know who they get waved through without an ID check instead of thinking the guards simply don't care about their duties and let everyone through.
  9. Baron Scicluna

There was a cool story from one of my school textbooks where a Union soldier, wounded on the battlefield, saw Lee and several of his aides riding by. For some reason, the soldier decided to yell out, "Hurray for the Union."

Lee and the aides heard him, and one of the aides got out his sabre. Lee told him to put it back, climbed down from his horse, went over to the soldier, who said he thought Lee was going to kill him himself. Instead, Lee shook the soldier's hand, and wished him a speedy recovery.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was really looking forward to Dolan appearing on "Undercover Boss" - guess that can't happen now.
  11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I was a young'un in the business in the Atlanta area, so was Ernie Johnson Jr. -- he was a sports reporter and weekend anchor on Channel 2.

Once I was covering the state high school basketball tournament at Georgia Tech, and after I show my credential to the guard and start walking in the building, I hear yelling. I turn around and there's Ernie arguing with the guard, who won't let him in because he doesn't have a credential, or even a business card, with him. Ernie's shouting stuff like, "I'm on TV! Haven't you ever watched Channel 2 news?" The guard has no idea, doesn't care, tells him he can't come in without a credential.

Ernie sees me and tells the guard, "Ask him! He'll tell you who I am." The guard turns to me. I pause for a second, then say, with a straight face, "I've never seen this guy before in my life."

I let Ernie steam for five or 10 seconds before telling the security guy that he was really a TV guy here to cover the tournament. I laughed at him about that one for awhile.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Same exact thing happened to me at a state basketball tournament, only it was the local radio guy, who loved to plagiarize my stories on his newscasts. I finally told the guard who he was, then as he walked in looking sheepish, I told him that he might as well have not shown up anyways, seeing that he was going to read my story on the air the next day.
Draft saved Draft deleted