1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James coverage/headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Wow. They changed it in the last 20 minutes, because what they had when I posted that was the front with a story about the museum of natural history as the lede (art was of the new director sitting next to a jaguar), and no mention of James anywhere.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Small paper in Ohio, so obviously it's big here.

'Modell Citizen' was my headline. I probably reached for that, but what the hell.

3. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Anyone else but me not a fan of the little caption on the Plain-Dealer page? I love the page design, but the caption reads ... I don't know, a little catty? I think just the photo and "Gone" told the story perfectly on its own.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think this one time catty is exactly what they were going for.

This is one of the few times I think it's an appropriate cathartic action.

5. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

I like what the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had today
    "SHOW OF FARCE" with a Michael Hunt column on page 1, with Bucks signings and Brewers meltdown. Full-blown Bron Bron coverage on page 3 of sports.

Show of Farce, I like that a lot

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not crazy about the caption.

First of all, the dollar figures (7 years, $62 million, $8.8M/year) isn't that far removed from the average NBA salary ($5.36M/year).

And pointing to a ringless finger? Well, he's in uniform. You won't find a photo of Bill Russell in uniform with a ring, either (although I do kind of like the one of him holding all 11 that has made the rounds).

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No problem with the caption.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love how to you, 61 percent of something isn't far removed from 100 percent. Must be nice.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree that's not a dramatic difference. That's a hell of a lot of money, but not league-changing money. It's not Alex Rodriguez signing with the Rangers for the gross national product of a small country. What percent of that contract was the average MLB salary at the time?

It's not an attention grabber like when the Yankees signed Dave Winfield. A bunch of money, to be sure, but not stop-the-presses money compared to the average NBA salary.

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I decided to go against the overused "Heat" phrases.

"Miami Thrice" -- 'LeBron to join Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh on Heat'

11. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

"Tri-nasty"? James joins Wade, Bosh in Miami

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Those fuckers. ESPN stole my headline.

Draft saved Draft deleted