1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James coverage/headlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 9, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Where are you playing the LeBron James decision, and what was your headline? Add your approximate circulation, if you want, to give it proper perspective.

I've seen the South Florida papers early pages and obviously it's huge down there. But where does it play in your neck of the woods?

2. What happened with LeBron James?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Small paper in northern Virginia. I used my considerable pull :) to get James blown out on the sports front (it is the dog days after all) and helped out the designer with the layout. All the "Heat" headlines had been run into the ground, so I went with "Big-time three," incorporating secondary art of Wade and Bosh.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I hear James is buying up the next issue of ESPN the Mag and Rick Reilly has been hand-selected to write numerous pieces covering each angle of the King...by the way, all proceeds from this next issue will go to Kids with Braces -- a support group for adolescents dealing with the harsh reality of being motor heads.

kidding of course :)

No play in our paper...10K just east of Portland, OR

5. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Main on our sports front. 55 K circ.

Headline: BEACH BOYS
    Sub: LeBron commits to Heat, joins Wade and Bosh in South Beach

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

approx. 10K daily, Central CA ... and I have it in the middle of the page, below three girls making all-State softball teams. Got a quote from James over a four-col. photo of bar jubilation in Miami, then the head "James chooses Miami." Also have a Tim Collishaw column on the left rail on decision day.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Mid-size daily in a place with no pro teams.

Top center of page, 80-pt. head "James picks Miami" Photo beneath of James sitting in a chair (not much to choose from), subhead below the story, right above fold and then the copy. Jump to page 6 with a sidebar of Cleveland fans (photo of some drunk Yahoo in a Cleveland bar), with the jump and a breakout of the hillarious "did the guy really write this stuff?" letter from Dan Gilbert.

Other stories on the front: Local minor league Class A baseball team loses 15-2, weekly notebook on said baseball team, Paul Goydos shooting 59 at the John Deere and a local small-time rodeo.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

9. CR19

CR19 Member

[​IMG]

In case you're wondering, the small caption pointing to his finger: "7 Years in Cleveland. No Rings."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So was this a wrap or something? The PD's Newseum A1 has no mention of James -- not even in the sports tease.

Best hed goes to the Akron Beacon-Journal: LEBRON TAKES HEAT. I see what they did there.

11. CR19

CR19 Member

He's on the Newseum front page for the PD. Here's a link.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=OH_CPD&ref_pge=lst

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Centerpiece in the Denver Post.

Hed: "LeBron's Heat wave"

Draft saved Draft deleted