1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Cameron vs. Piranha: Who Ya Got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Aug 31, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because he says the latest 3-D revolution isn't about squeezing dry shitty franchises, yet that's what Saw is doing this fall. And to extrapolate that, remakes like Piranha and My Bloody Valentine probably wouldn't have existed, or would have gone straight to video where they belonged, without the 3-D tag. Cameron is completely full of shit and talking out of his ass to make himself feel better while burying a film and a filmmaker whose "work" didn't need any assistance. He's a bully.

As for why I'd pay to see Piranha 900x before Avatar once: I couldn't stand the overblown nature of Titanic and I can't stand the arrogance the guy has displayed since then. Plus, sci-fi/fantasy bores me to tears, so in the hands of a doofus like Cameron, I'm pretty sure I'd be homicidal after 10 minutes.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I honestly dont know how many cameron films I have seen.......

I have still not seen titanic.

I know, I know.....

but, here is a spoiler for ya.

THE FUCKING BOAT SINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT NEED TO SIT THROUGH 3+ HOURS OF LEONARDO DI CRAPRIO TO FIGURE IT OUT!

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The slight difference is that guys like Spielberg and Coppola make quality movies. Those two guys don't want their names mentioned under the same breath with an egomaniac like Cameron who thinks everyone should bow down to him.

Besides that, good for Mark Canton to defend his movie, even if it's made for shits and giggles. It didn't take Canton 10 years between movies like Cameron.

Hollywood is running out of creativity, story ideas, and branching itself out. Hence the reason that indie movies and low-budgets are popular among movie-goers who want to get something out of it. Everyone else wants to be entertained. Avatar and Piranha 3D is the latter. Folks want 2-3 hours of distraction and they don't care what gets made. As long as they don't think about their daily lives, they'll accept almost anything mediocre to terrible.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Cameron didn't make, or have anything to do with those movies, so again, what's your point? He addressed Piranha's use of outdated 3-D technology because he was asked about the film. Does that mean that he needs to attack every single other 3-D movie?

You call him a bully, yet you're upset that he restricted his criticism to the one film he was asked about.

You don't like Cameron, that's fine. But to call him a bully and complain that he isn't bullying more films, again, sounds silly.

No, Cameron doesn't make small indie films. That's not his deal (though his documentary work is excellent). But he has made some GREAT films despite some people's idea that if stuff blows up it takes no talent. Aliens, Terminator 1 and 2, the Abyss, Titanic and Avatar are all fantastic movies. You can have Mark Canton's films all you want. I'll take a marathon of Cameron's films every time and so would 99 percent of the movie-going public and the movie studios.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I just looked on Rottentomatoes, and Piranha is getting fresh.

Eat,Pray,Love and The American are not fresh.

I guess I got Piranha.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cameron's stories are a bit on the popcorny side as far as substance. But I think he gets good performances and evokes emotion in the viewer. I haven't seen Avatar, but I really liked Titanic.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You know what? I know Piranha is going to suck. Hard. But every movie I have to watch doesn't have to be a thinking movie. I like mindless bullshit.

It's why I'm watching Western Michigan at Michigan State right now. I know it's going to suck, but it's still football and I like football.

Oh, and PS, I will be seeing SAW 3-D. I enjoyed the last one.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't even think it's stuff like Piranha that's a problem; that seems like a cheesy, cheap disaster movie that's enhanced a bit with 3-D. Good for them. I think the bigger problem is retrofitting movies into 3-D in the editing room, or just adding some weak superficial 3-D stuff to movies like Superficial Me.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what they did with Piranha because they couldn't film in 3-D underwater and that's exactly what Cameron is complaining about. His basic point is, if you're going to make a 3-D movie, do it right. I see nothing wrong with that take.

Draft saved Draft deleted