1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Cameron vs. Piranha: Who Ya Got?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In a long interview with Vanity Fair, James Cameron singled out "Piranha" as an example of bad 3D movie that's cashing in on the craze he created with Avatar:

So "Piranha" producer Mark Canton responds with a 1,400-word "fuck you."
    I can't seem to copy and paste from the letter, so here's the link:
    http://images.eonline.com/static/news/pdf/PiranhaLetter.pdf

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Because it just cheapens the medium and reminds you of the bad 3-D horror films from the 70s and 80s, like Friday the 13th 3-D. When movies got to the bottom of the barrel of their creativity and at the last gasp of their financial lifespan, they did a 3-D version to get the last few drops of blood out of the turnip. That's not what's happening now with 3-D."

Guess Dickhead Cameron hasn't seen the commercials for Saw 3-D. (which, as a Saw junkie, I can't wait to see, but the franchise is on fumes)

What an insufferable, overrated, arrogant, self-satisfied prick. I'd pay to see Piranha 3-D 900 times before I dropped a cent on that Avatar shit.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Cameron has a pretty bad rep but in this case, he might have a point. Isn't there a scene where Jerry O'Connell's manhood gets ripped off by a paranha and then puked back up, staight at the viewer, half-digested?

There's probably a more artistic use of the technology than that.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

James Cameron has made some very successful movies.
    He has never made anything with any artistic merit. He's a hypocrit incapable of understanding his own hypocrisy, which makes a buffoon to boot.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So Cameron is criticizing a graphics-for-the-sake-of-graphics movie without an original plot for riding the coattails of another, more successful graphics-for-the-sake-of-graphics movie without an original plot? But he's right, the number of 3-D movies kind of needs to go down.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, choosing between 'Piranha 3D' and James Cameron is like choosing between crabs and scabies.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What does Saw 3-D have to do with him answering a question he was asked about Piranha 3-D?

If you'd really prefer to see Piranha 900 times over Avatar once, then you're cutting off your nose to spite your face. Avatar was an amazing step forward in technological filmmaking ... Piranha hacked off a conversion because they couldn't figure out how to film in 3-D under water.

I don't stop following my favorite sports teams because they have some horrible people on their roster. I also would never miss out on a fantastic film (much less intentionally see a shitty one in its place) because the director has an ego. That just seems silly to me.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Actually, Cameron isn't the only director who feels this way. Several other very successful, big names agree with his basic point: that crappy movies are being morphed into 3D movies to justify their existence.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Crappy films have long existed without justification. Cameron himself has been a perpetrator.
    What people are trying to do is add the effect in post-production because they hope it will drive a little box office, since 3D has created a bit of a buzz.
    Of course 3D won't save a bad movie, just like 'technologic achievement' does not make up for hackneyed stories, lack of character and wooden dialogue.
    Cameron's a fool.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The man just made the highest-grossing movie of all-time .... again. He's many things, but a fool is certainly not one of them.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When someone like Cameron talks about artistic vs. commercial choices, he sounds foolsih at best.
    He is foolsih if he's sincere.
    He's a hypocrite if he knows better.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There is. But by that point in the film they'd already had the full-frontal underwater ballet scene and the wet T-shirt contest. They really couldn't go back to that well.

Draft saved Draft deleted