1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Cameron as Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 24, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not true. A guy named W. Peter Iliff wrote Point Break (and also the screenplays for Varsity Blues, Under Suspicion and the movie adaptation of Patriot Games, according to IMDB). Cameron was the producer on Point Break, which actually wasn't all that bad a movie.

And how does "pro-Mars exploration" equal "nutjob" in your mind? That's a reach.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Point Break is the Citizen Kane of bad movies, a celluloid Big Mac with charm. I saw the sumbitch in the theater and thought it was good, but that was a long fucking time ago and that kid is dead and gone.

So this Iliff wrote Varsity Blues, also? Whoa now, I had no idea we were dealing with a legitimate talent!

Mars exploration is a joke. We've got some deeper shit going on right now. That a self-indulgent director and would-be leading sci-fi mind is one of the point men makes it even more of a farce.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

"Mars exploration is a joke. We've got some deeper shit going on right now."

That's what they said about the Apollo program, one of this nation's greatest achievements.

We're explorers. Not just as Americans, but also as a species. It's what we've always done. And it makes a hell of a lot more sense than throwing money down the Iraq pit.

4. Herbert Anchovy

I'd like to see what money presently being squandered on a stagnant space program could do for cancer research.

We're explorers? We scar what we explore.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

I'd prefer to see what money presently being squandered on a stagnant effort in Iraq could do for cancer research.

Exploration is what we do. When we ran out of places to explore, we were left with what became the 20th century.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Well, I'm with you there.

It's remarkable that a shuttle launch has become a blase thing. The wonder is gone. If they want to go to Mars, then start making it happen and stop bragging about how it can be done. Maybe we can make the 43rd president the first colonist.

Draft saved Draft deleted