1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Dec 25, 2006.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Please, please, please, tell me it's not true.

Saw him a couple of times. Once in a little neighbourhood hall and it was great. The other: at the Police Picnic, opening for Sting's enablers, Talking Heads, Flock of Seagulls and others not fit to pick lint off his robe. He made the best of a ridiculous situation.

Sex Machine (the album) is cut for cut his best I reckon. Maceo is still with us, right? I can't imagine what conversations between JB and Bootsy (former bassman) used to sound like.

1, 2, 3, etc

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: Farewell, Godfather of Soul

i don't feel good...na na na na na na na

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Mr. Friend O',

Was that the first Police Picnic in Oakville? That's the only one I went to but I don't remember JB.

Yes, Maceo Parker is alive and well and still recording under his own name. I know in the past he has played with Prince and George Clinton among others.

I remember reading once that Clarence Clemons was once one of JB's Famous Flames? Anyone else heard that?

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So... what was his best movie role?
    - Reverend Cleophus James (Blues Brothers, Blues Brothers 2000)
    - himself (Rocky IV)
    - bandleader (Doctor Detroit)

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Original Blues Brothers. No contest.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, his best role was playing himself in the '60s teen dance epic "Ski Party" where he and the Flames just happened to drop by the ski resort and played a number or two while dressed in apres-ski wear, including thick Nordic sweaters.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn, not today!

JB was and always will be the Hardest Working Man in Showbusiness on Earth and up in the big Apollo in the sky.

Rest in Peace, my brother. :(

(Cue Dooley's Junkyard Dawgs one more time!)

8. boots

boots New Member

The GFOS (that's Godfather of Soul for the acronym challenged) had been battling Cancer. I'm sure his immune system took a big hit. (No pun intended).
    Clarence Clemons was not a member of the Flames. not because he wouldn't have been good enough, but he's not old enough.
    James Brown has one of the best Christmas songs I ever heard. It's called "Santa Claus, go straight to the ghetto." Everyone should hear it today.
    It's hard to pick one song that I liked better than the other. From the big payback (check out the lyrics) to get up offa that thang (and shake until you feel better). No one challenged his two titles, Godfather of Soul and Hardest Working Man in Showbusiness. That pretty much tells you how much he was respected in the business by people of all colors. His "Say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud" was an anthem for many.
    James Brown, 1933-2006. He was a talent. He will be missed. He was THE MAN!

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He also had a pro wrestling connection.

http://slam.canoe.ca/SlamWrestlingBiosM/miller_ernest_01jan10-can.html

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

best ring entrance ever. this sucks bad. say hi to apollo.

11. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I wish I was old enough to have seen him in The JBs with Bootsie Collins.

I think he was supposed to perform somewhere on New Year's Eve.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"And now people... When I woke up this mornin', I heard a disturbin' sound. I said, when I woke up this mornin', I heard a disturbin' sound. It was the jingle-jangle... of a thousand lost souls."

Rest in peace, godfather...

Draft saved Draft deleted