1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

James Bond Books

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JakeandElwood, Jan 10, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Has anyone read the originals by Ian Fleming? I'm going through them now and loving them. Although it is funny to see how incredibly different the movies are. Although to be fair the plots are probably too compact for a movie. All in all the books are great reads and I'd recommend them if you're looking for something to read.

2. I have most all of them. Some publisher put them out in the early 1990s in hardback, with the original typeface and some funky cover art. They had tons of them in the bargain bin at Books-a-Million when I was a kid. I'm only missing Dr. No and The Man with the Golden Gun, I think. My favorite is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The Fleming books were reissued a couple of years ago in paperback with some cool, noirish cover art done by a fellow University of South Carolina graduate.

3. JakeandElwood

I'm in the middle of Thunderball and loving it so far. From what I vaguely remember about the movie it actually seems to be pretty similar too. Dr. No was good and I haven't got to On Her Majesty's Secret Service yet.

4. OTD

OTD Active Member

I've got them all. I'd had copies of them all but lost a bunch at one point. For a Christmas present one year, my wife bought me new copies of all of them, which was really cool.

Thunderball, by the way, is kind of an odd duck among the books. I think the movie was actually written first, which explains why it follows it so closely. It's also why they remade it as "Never Say Never Again" with Sean Connery, but not with any of the producers of the other movies.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have a paperback of Goldfiger in a box someplace.

Great escapist fare.

I also read, and quite enjoyed, a couple of the John Gardner "continuation" novels (the first was published in 1981), which I rather enjoyed as well.

6. JakeandElwood

Goldfinger was the one the only other I felt had a strong resemblance to the movie of the seven I've read so far. How do the Gardner books compare to Fleming? I like how he uses a short compact - and believable - plot to develop the characters. Is Gardner similar or did he go more elaborate as the movies do?

7. JR

JR Active Member

I read them all when they were first published in the 60's. I had them all in the original British paperback editions.

I remember loving them at the time but a number of years ago went back to read one of them and discovered that Ian Fleming was one godawful writer--besides being a racist and misogynist.

8. JakeandElwood

The worst example of the racism is in Live and Let Die where Bond's enemy is based out of Harlem. I don't think Fleming writes brilliantly but the books are entertaining.

9. JR

JR Active Member

They were entertaining as hell when I was fourteen.

Sorta like Tom Clancy--fun plots but can't write worth a lick.

BTW, a first edition of Goldfinger (British edition) fetches around $40,000

10. JakeandElwood

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I read most of them about 20 years ago and still have Doctor No around here someplace, but haven't read it in forever.

12. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

I'd agree. Fleming wasn't the greatest writer, but you read them for the ideas, and now, for the nostalgia of seeing Bond's literary roots preserved. I don't care for the Gardener books too much, but Raymond Benson wrote some good ones in the late 90s. I think he did five, and the middle three are a trilogy where he tries to introduce a group to replace SPECTRE or whatever the hell it was called. I haven't read them in a long time, but I remember them being better than Gardener. You can probably find them at the library like I did.

Draft saved Draft deleted