1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jameis Winston in trouble? (This time for stealing crab legs?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 13, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Re: Jameis Winston in trouble?

I actually agree with this. I know everyone would love to believe a cover-up here, and without context, that's what it sounds like, but there is literally nothing as difficult as a prosecution for sexual assault, especially when most cases come down to a she said/he said scenario. A detective would likely want her to truly understand what she was probably in for, and as long as she said yes, then I imagine he'd be all in, ready to throw the book at Winston. It's easy to just assume conspiracy without any tone or context.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess it's also possible that it is a case of mistaken identity but the Tallahassee cops are a bunch of idiots and are covering for a guy who isn't actually guilty.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Combined with the failure to pass notice of this investigation up the line to the prosecutor's office -- something that is apparently standard practice -- and the possible double-talk and confusion about whether they have collected evidence and/or closed the case, I find the possibility of the crusading detective to be quite unlikely.

I'd be interested to know if the detective showed up on a comp list for football tickets or had some overtime pay affiliated with the football program.

4. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

agree 100 percent. it's the refusal to collect any evidence from winston because word might get out that looks bad. much harder to prosecute with no physical evidence, and it's too late to get it now.

5. LongTimeListener

Police response: What they're saying is bullshit, well OK some of it might be true, but it's still bullshit, and we can't tell you why it's bullshit, because it's an open investigation -- and it was "open but inactive" but now it's open and active -- but rest assured it's bullshit. And when you have other questions, we can't answer them.

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20131120/NEWS/131120009/Update-City-contends-complainant-Jameis-Winston-case-cut-off-contact-TPD-February

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

LTL nailed the key point. The allegation that the PD gave Winston's lawyer the police report and all evidence, but didn't even do that much for the state's attorney, if true, is a devastating fact for the PD.

7. champ_kind

i know it's in their hands anymore, but that family statement doesn't seem very adamant about charges being filed now

8. LongTimeListener

Family doesn't want that, it appears. The statement was a response to the many media inquiries they've been getting. They said in there that the whole focus since February has been moving on.

9. champ_kind

hmm ...

Mark Schlabach says DNA report connects Florida St. QB Jameis Winston to accuser. This does not prove a crime was committed.

10. LongTimeListener

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The DNA evidence makes it more likely than before that Winston did what he has been accused of doing, but not by very much. It tells us that two college students, probably drunk, had a sexual encounter. Full stop.

Draft saved Draft deleted