1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jameis Winston, controversy, again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 13, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Holtz famously did the same thing when he was at Notre Dame.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder what made them finally decide to be competitive in football. The new stadium? Or is that chicken-or-the-egg talk?

3. Dick Whitman

He was getting Prop 48s in!

I've heard that Kelly gets some breaks now, too. Under Weis and Willingham and Davie, I think it had to do with the kid, on a real case-by-case basis. A coach could go to bat for him if he really thought he could succeed despite his test score - Ian Williams is an example that I remember.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alumni. Very wealthy alumni.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seemed to all change at ND when Fr Hesburgh and Fr Joyce retired. It seemed like they were willing to take a more liberal view of ND admissions doctrine. Fr Beauchamp
    came in and single handedly put the brakes on the program by instituting a much stricter admissions policy for football players.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think Stanford was content for awhile being a school that would frequently hover around .500 and make a bowl game every other year or so.

Teevens and Harris were so bad that I think Stanford was shamed into doing what it took to get competitive. Stanford's athletic program as a whole is arguably the best in the country and when the football team was bad, alumni would say things like, "Oh, as soon as we decide we want to be competitive in football we will be."

They appear to be right.

7. Boom_70

Winston reminds me a bit of Keyshawn Johnson. Smart guy, good player but loved
    the spotlight a bit too much.

Geno Smith on the other hand is an idiot. Yes Geno Smith is moron.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Now because of him, the ND-FSU game is now off the boards Saturday Night. Some degenerate gamblers would probably love to ring this bastards neck.

9. Boom_70

Once their done with Geno Smith for the pick he tossed Sunday that allowed
    the Broncos to cover

10. Dick Whitman

Damn it!

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You had time. It stayed up for at least a few hours yesterday. It would have required guessing on Winston sitting out ... but between the Gurley precedent, Winston's priors and especially the New York Times piece from last weekend, the smart money has to say he isn't playing.

No idea whether he gets to dress out again, though.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Don't think Whitman was even guessing about Winston. He thought that line was too high even with Winston playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted