1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jameis Winston, controversy, again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He got in to Stanford. Are we going to just assume he cheated on his SATs or ACTs? I'd put those scores up against pretty much everyone here calling him dumb.

He's been enabled, and clearly believes he's above the law. As, I presume, most FSU football players feel. The number of supposedly "smart" football players who got away with all the stuff Winston has been nailed for in recent years, I would bet, is quite large.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The scrutiny makes it tough for anyone to get away with anything for too long. The days of Bear getting a kid bailed out on Friday so he could play on Saturday are over.

3. Double Down

Sure. I would say that most major schools, though, are still adjusting to that reality. Perhaps FSU even more so, because they were mediocre for a decade. The scrutiny that exists now wasn't there wasn't there when they were playing in the Music City Bowl.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A: it's not unheard of

2: what were his scores? Does anyone know? I tried to google it, but couldn't find an answer

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't think it unreasonable to think that he got into Stanford in spite of his SAT/ACT score, not because of it.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Barack Obama and Jameis Winston.

When are either one just going to release their scores? What do they have to hide? What's the big deal? No one is doubting that they both scored well. No one is doubting they got into school on their merits. Why would they?

Purely for their own sakes, I just think that they ought to release them and be done with it.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good Lord.

DD referenced his scores. It seemed like he knew they were good. Were they? I have no idea.

If we're going to debate whether or not he is "smart" I think the scores would be a more objective data point than his grades.

I'm not convinced he's dumb, and am not trying to convince anyone else that he is.

But, don't try to convince me he's a super genius either.

Neither of us have enough information.

8. joe

joe Active Member

Is that said in a Daffy Duck voice?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An athlete getting into Stanford doesn't mean nearly what it used to. Dirty little secret of the Harbaugh revival.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

At what point does Jimbo Fisher get splashed with Winston's shit-water? Fisher seems like the grandma who thinks her grandkids are perfect little angels and never do anything wrong.

Since Fisher is hitching his wagon to Winston, if/when the Winston train hits the brick wall, Fisher should hit the brick wall with it.

11. Double Down

Well, since Stanford (much like Notre Dame) typically does not make major exceptions for athletes to get into school, I'd say it's fair to assume he didn't get an 800 on his SATs. Every time this is brought up, the immediate answer is "Well, he seems dumb, so they must bend the rules for him. Oh, and I have no evidence to support this, but he must have cheated or the school must have made an exception for him. Because crab legs and pellet guns."

Everyone who interacts with Winston says he's smart. He grades suggest he's smart. The colleges he was accepted by suggest he's smart. These are different things than being immature. But I guess message board posters know better.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's any other reasons that people believe that he and Barack Obama must not have deserved to get into the schools they got into.

Draft saved Draft deleted