1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jameis and A.J.'s mom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree, Mizzou. I've listened to athletes and coaches of every race, creed and nationality (thanks to the Olympics) babble incoherently after a big close win or loss. They've just been under hours of extreme mental and physical stress. It's not a press conference of the Federal Reserve Chairman.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Clearly, she's not real fucking bright.

Now Dee Dee can sail off into the sunset, and keep a close tab on AJ as he tries out for the CFL.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There's a lot of money to be made by requiring anyone over a certain age to take a training course before they're allowed to use the Internet, and especially Twitter or Facebook.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed. He's not the brightest bulb in the bunch.

"We were letting us be bigger than the game." Oh yeah, crystal clear.

Again, I don't fault the kid for being excited and overwhelmed. It happens to many, if not most, athletes who are interviewed coming off the field after winning a championship. But that answer was nonsense.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some of these people it's the happiest moment of their lives and especially with college kids, the expectation that they give well-thought out answers and speak slowly is absurd.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They might bend a bit more than Alabama, but that probably reflects Alabama's standards more than it does Stanford's exceptions.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey our current ambassador to Japan sounds like an imbecile when she
    speaks. Makes the classic "you know" mistake every other word.

http://gawker.com/5119062/how-many-times-can-caroline-kennedy-say-you-know-in-under-a-minute

I heard a lot of Winston in past week and liked what I heard. The guy is a leader.

Ray Lewis parlayed his brand into a nice ESPN gig.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The next producer who decides it's a good idea to interview a college athlete needs to be fired.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

My favorite part of interviewing college athletes... when Scott Van Pelt does it on ESPN Radio.

His dialect and cadence change when interviewing someone who happens to be African-American. Most enjoyable part of the show.

10. Mizzougrad96

It wouldn't work because the tweets or the posts that get people in the most trouble are the ones that people do as an immediate reaction. It's so immediate that unless you were able to install a filter where 10 minutes after a tweet was sent, something was sent back saying, "You sure you want to send this out?" it would never work.

I'm guessing the PR lady who made the AIDS joke as she boarded a plane to Africa might have re-thought things 10 minutes later.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The funny thing about that was that story really blew up while she was on the plane with no access to her Twitter feed. She was basically fired before she even landed in South Africa, and didn't realize it.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'm surprised a lot more journalists haven't been fired for something careless they say over Twitter. I know of a few and a few others who probably should have been, but I think, unless it gets retweeted to the wrong person, most of it is widely ignored unless something crazy happens.

The PR lady probably thought she was making a bad joke for whatever number of followers she had at the time. I'm assuming it wasn't that many, but for whatever reason it went viral and she was fired before she had a chance to apologize and have a chance to save her job.

I think if that tweet doesn't go viral, she doesn't lose her job. But when it did, any chance she had to save her job went with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted