1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jameis and A.J.'s mom

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I'm buying the "not racist" line.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-01-07/aj-mccarron-mom-dee-dee-boner-jameis-winston-twitter-bcs-title-game-2014-florida-state

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I heard what he was saying last night. He was rambling, for sure, but didn't think it was incoherent.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As I posted on the Bowl-a-Rama thread, the only upside of AJ leaving Alabama is that his spotlight-hogging mother will disappear.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

On a board full of people who value the English language, grammar and syntax, it's easy to find it difficult listen to interviews with Winston (and many other athletes of all backgrounds).

Last night, as he exited the field, he was excited and overwhelmed and there's no question he wasn't making much sense. When asked how FSU turned things around, he said, "We had to go back to playing Florida State football. We came out here, we was - we were letting us be bigger than the game. We were bigger than the game. Then we had to say, 'Hey, let's play Florida State football,' because can't nobody be bigger than this game. And we did that, and we came out victorious."

I shut the TV off at that point because I had no idea what he was talking about.

Mrs. McCarron? I don't know her well enough to say she's a racist, and I suspect there was likely a racial component to her motivation for the tweet, but this is a nothing story. He doesn't need to say a word to respond to her. He can simply hold up his crystal football and Heisman trophy and smile.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I knew exactly what he was saying. FSU thought they could win on their reputation, and when they suddenly figured it out they came back and won the game.

Winston is a 20-year-old black kid from rural Alabama. The combination of his accent and the fact he talks using a lot of slang terms and y'alls don't present him as the most eloquent player out there. But he is passionate and confident, and I can respect that.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I certainly expected something a bit more titillating when I clicked on this thread. :)

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This thread had so much possibility based on the title. But it was not meant to be.

Dee Dee just wonders why he can't be articulate like that boy in Washington D.C.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the spirit of accuracy, Winston is from Hueytown, which is a suburb of Birmingham. It's not rural by any means.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was it Michael Graham who was criticized for his speaking ability immediately after Georgetown won their national championship in '84?

Pretty similar incident to this.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Reggie Williams.

Because he didn't speak. At all. Frozen.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I knew someone would point that out. No idea where Hueytown is geographically. Teh Google told me it was a town of 16,000 or so. Should have done further homework.
    As a side note, I certainly am not disparaging Alabama, as nearly my entire family was born near Montgomery. And aside from my sisters, who left the state as infants, they also have very noticeable accents.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can't find the interview. Couldn't remember the guy's name either, but was pretty sure it was Michael, and that he was a freshman, who never played again, which describes Graham.

This article says it was both of them:

Draft saved Draft deleted