1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Peavy, wuss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 21, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I just came across this thread. Waylon, I have some free time this afternoon during which I will volunteer to help you find your mind, which based on your initial premise you appear to have lost.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, I didn't catch that consensus, Waylon, but I may be wrong. I do think Peavy would have to be nuts to leave San Diego for the White Sox, but that's mostly because I don't think he wants to play for a team with a sad-sack offense (which he already has) and a crazy manager (whom he's rumored to be wary of) in the American League (which he's reported to be wary of.) There's not many positives for him there. Just don't see why he'd accept that deal, when he's earned his no-trade clause and has made it clear which AL teams he'd rather go to. Certainly don't see why that makes him a "wuss" for not wanting to "compete." It's a great deal for the Padres, and it might be a great deal for the Sox (if they don't give up too much and Peavy stays healthy, which is a concern), but it's not really a good deal for Peavy.

And yeah, he probably would go to the Cubs in a heartbeat, because a) it suits his NL tastes, b) they're a better contender for the Series; and c) last but not least ... they'd probably give him more money, unless Reinsdorf inexplicably changes his mind about the economy.

So I agree the "Chicago sucks" argument is a nonstarter. (But San Diego is a damn fine city in its own right, for what it's worth.)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody said Chicago sucks, Waylon. Plenty of people disputed your claim that it is the BEST city in the summer, but nobody was saying it sucks.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Chicago is a great city clearly, but San Diego is the gold standard.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Silly thread. Peavy would be ill-advised to waive his no-trade (without compensation) to go to the White Sox.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hey, he's earned the right to veto a deal, so more power to him. My guess is he wants that $22M option year guaranteed.

I don't think this is an issue of San Diego vs. Chicago, because if the Cubs were on the receiving end of this deal, it would happen.

7. At the same time, I think anyone who picks up that $22 million option for 2013 is batshit insane.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought it became guaranteed if he gets traded. Did I read that wrong?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's more like a case of the White Sox sucking like a Dyson vacuum cleaner.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This thread is retarded.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What makes Chicago the best summer city in the country?

And if I had the chance to live in Chicago of San Diego....well, that decision would take all of 0.2 seconds to make.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm one of the biggest Cubs fans on this board, but if you gave me a choice to live in Chicago or San Diego, for 12 months, I think I'd choose San Diego.

That said, most of the players don't stay in Chicago for the winter, and it is indeed an outstanding summer city (though calling it the best is a bold and probably inaccurate statement).

Most people know where Peavy wants to be. He wants to be in San Diego, but they're not going to contend for a long, long time, so he wants to be in Wrigley. Why would he accept a trade to the South Side if he wanted to play on the North Side?

And from the PADERS' side, the Cubs would probably offer a more attractive package (Marshall, Samardzija, possibly Randy Wells, possibly Kevin Hart, possibly Josh Vitters, Tyler Colvin or Wellington Castillo ... some combination of three of those guys).

On a side note, I still think the Cubs are secretly trying to bring back DeRosa. He'll clearly be on the block (if he's not already), and he can play third every day until Ramirez returns.

Draft saved Draft deleted