1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Peavy, wuss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 21, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Any pitcher for that matter. Look how much better C.C. Sabathia was when he moved to the N.L. or how badly Josh Beckett struggled when he left the Marlins.

Sure, Peavy would be great, but there's no way he puts up the numbers he does now with the Padres.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They do suck, bigtime. I don't see how anyone could say with a straight face that they're a contender. I've probably watched 15 or so White Sox games and they've all been pretty much the same. They had their heads up their asses almost from the very start today.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm very glad I went disc golfing instead of watching the first few innings of that game before work.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Meh. No big deal. Mine's bigger than theirs ... even with them adding up individual measurements. :D

Seriously ... how much heat are Ken Williams and Crazy Man feeling these days? Has to be quite a bit if Williams is giving away the store before Memorial Day.

And another thing: CWS is next-to-last in AL hitting, total bases and OBP, third from the bottom in slugging, dead fucking last in runs scored, 1stADD: tied for second in the league in errors ... what in that appeals to a starting pitcher?

Having done that last bit of research, I have to ask this question: Why are the White Sox giving away the store for a pitcher when what they really need is at least one more bat (!stADD: and maybe a glove, too)?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I am sorry to say I watched the entire debacle, or had it on in the background while doing some writing, anyway. It was fucking brutal. During one point Harrelson and Stone talked about that goofy Dos Equis commercial, at fair length.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Did he say anything about Aflac?

I luv that duck.

7. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

For all we know, this was Kenny William's way of showing his team that he cares and something will be done.

However, it had the reverse impact on the Padres - from the U-T story on the trade, or lack of one.

(The trade talk) appeared to demoralize several Padres players. Among them was first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, who pointed out that the Padres had won five consecutive games entering yesterday.
    “It just tells you now what the intention of the team is, so it's tough – go young for the next couple years,” Gonzalez said. “I didn't think it would happen this early if it happened at all.”

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can think of at least a dozen MLB cities better in the summer than Chicago.

One of them happens to be San Diego.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Stay thirsty my friend.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I vote for Minne
    I vote for Minneapolis. Great golf, terrific people, fewer traffic nightmares than Chicago.

11. I honestly didn't realize that the idea that Chicago is a great city was in dispute until this thread. I've been almost everywhere. Only San Francisco comes close.

12. Well, this one, for starters:

"I can think of at least a dozen MLB cities better in the summer than Chicago.

One of them happens to be San Diego."

There was an early consensus on the thread that Peavy would have to be nuts to leave San Diego for Chicago, the insinuation being that Chicago, relatively speaking, is a shitty place to live. But nothing could be further from the truth, and when I argued that, I was met with some (light-hearted) ridicule. Probably mostly coastal bias, which does exist on SportsJournalists.com, but still surprising to me.

He would go to the Cubs in a heartbeat, BTW, which makes all this talk about what a wretched place Chicago is moot anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted