1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake Peavy, wuss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 21, 2009.

1. Nice to see that the San Diego ace cares more about protecting his ERA against National League lineups in that airport they call a ballpark rather than going to a potential American League contender that plays in a lively park.

Mark Buehrle is 10 times the competitor that Jake Peavy will ever hope to be. What a puss. Have fun losing 100 games again.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I knew a White Sox fan would start this argument. I just thought maybe it would be on the baseball thread or on the Peavy thread that we already have.

The man negotiated a no-trade clause. The White Sox were not one of the teams he wanted to go to. On that list were at least two American League teams, the Yankees and Angels.

The White Sox are third from the bottom in the majors in runs scored despite playing in a homer-friendly park and having the DH. If Peavy wants to have no run support, he can stay where he is.

3. He's signed through 2012, and after this year the White Sox get like $35 in salary off the books, including Jose Contreras' abortion of a deal.

Anybody who is afraid to compete, at any level, loses my respect.

4. outofplace

Great. And when you find a logical argument to prove that Peavy is afraid to compete, come on back. So far, I don't see it.

What I see right now with the White Sox is a team that is scuffling to score runs, mostly because their best offensive weapon (Quentin) can't stay healthy.

5. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Hmmmm, rich in San Diego vs. rich in Chicago?
    I think I'd stay put, too.

6. That's a non-starter. Nobody lives there during the offseason, when the weather is bad, and it's basically the best summer city in America.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Peavy said no to a team that was down by 20 runs at one point this afternoon and likely will not contend for anything.

A no-brainer.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

What are the selling points for Peavy in Chicago?

Bandbox park, team that probably isn't going anywhere, manager who is borderline insane.

9. outofplace

By the way, that loss dropped the White Sox to 17-23, six games under .500. The Padres are currently 18-22, four games under .500.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking. That would have been a hell of a rotation, though.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

What exactly would make that a hell of a rotation?

12. This is a lot bigger than one game against the Minnesota Twins in mid-May. It's an organization that has three 90-win seasons, two division titles and a world championship in the last four years, and it's clearly committed to winning, long-term, by seeking to acquire him and his huge contract.

The guy is afraid to pitch in the American League, pure and simple.

Draft saved Draft deleted