1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jake’s 50th high school reunion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jake from State Farm, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Was last night
    Great time
    All the women looked great
    All the guys were bald, including me
    Saw a lot of people I hadn’t seen in a long time

2. Jake from State Farm

So the big songs in the summer of 72 were …

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Machine Head and garrow like this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You mean, no one wanted to play this?

(Back on topic ... hope a good time was had by all. All of us who make it to that point should be able to consider themselves fortunate.)

I Should Coco likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I can't believe you're the class of '72.

Always thought you were a few years post-Gen X'er.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was Class of '70. We had our 50th reunion on this date last year after a one-year delay because of Covid. It was a disaster. We should have delayed it again and had it last night.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Repped for real talk

7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I graduated in ‘82, and there’s been talk in our alumni Facebook group about a reunion, but nobody seems to want to actually organize it. That’s fine by me, because I can name maybe five classmates I have any interest in talking to anyway.

qtlaw and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  8. Jake from State Farm

What’s nice about reunions at my age is nobody’s competing
    We’ve all lived our lives
    I did make sure to avoid the picnic the next day because that’s where the Trumpers go and I didn’t want to get into that crap

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

After 30 years I was finally curious enough to go to my reunion, then a conflict came up. But my class also isn't the most organized, and the reunion ended up just being about a dozen folks going to dinner.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My mom had her 50th five or six years ago.
    It was fascinating seeing how various people looked in tbeir late ‘60s. Some of them could’ve passed for 50, others had 300,000 miles on them. Coke is a helluva drug, I hear.

We had a 20th (our first reunion) that probably had two-thirds of the class there. A lovely soul is planning our 25th for Thanksgiving weekend, and few are showing much interest. Bought my ticket but I’m guessing it gets canceled and I get a refund.

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Happy you had a good time and happy for anybody who enjoyed their reunion.

For being one of the few people in my class who did not partake of the obligatory 3-litre bottles spiked with Jack or PGA, I have the worst memory for classmates pre-college. I'll be out somewhere and someone will recognize me and I'm gobsmacked. Who is this old person? On top of that, attempting to run my own online magazine and health issues aged me over the past decade or so.

Them: How could I not know you? You haven't changed a bit. Of course, I know you!
    Me: (inwardly jibbering) Aiiiiiiieeeee! Oh my God. Oh shit, no! Really? Thanks, man! Uh...
    Them: I'm Jeff from the trombone section!
    Me: (I have no idea.) Hi Jeff!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm '76. The past 20 years or so, my high school has been holding "rolling reunions" every 5 years and inviting everyone within a 5 year window to attend, on the rationale that most people have some friends in classes in front of or behind them. I guess our class is planning an actual 50th reunion during the 25-26 school year.

On that particular topic, "Dazed and Confused" is an absolutely perfect depiction of the party scene in June 1976, when I actually did graduate from high school. The only flaw is that the movie focuses mainly on the returning senior class, the Class of '77, who effectively ruled as the alpha dogs of the party scene.

In real life in those days, seniority in terms of social standing at keggers, authority in hazing rituals, etc etc, didn't roll over until practice opened for fall sports, about August 1, and the outgoing seniors started packing for college (or got jobs).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted